Front Brake Flexi-Hoses....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Front Brake Flexi-Hoses....

Post by Johnny Cogs »

(Request for stupid question amnesty??? :oops: )

Hey folks, just to confirm, is this the nut I want to be undoing when removing the front flexi-hoses???

:)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yep, that's to release one end.
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Cool, thanks... just wanted to double check as tried the offside hose and it put up a hell of a fight.... just found the handy hint about crushing the spring clip, so off to try that now... Many thanks!!! :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont crush the spring clip unless you have a new one to re/fit in place, as that is all that secures the hole lot in position after re/fitting,

i have never had to crush the spring retaining plate,

regards malcolm
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

oh.......

oooooops! I followed the guide and gave it a squeeze.......

I have got the facilities to reshape it once it's off though....

What I dont have is a removed flexi hose..... It's stuck pretty hard..... My Flare nut spanner is really starting to slip on the thing..... I think it was a little chewed to start with...

I might have one last option. I have a user friendly sized set of stilsons??? I know it will be messy, but I don't think I have any other choice....

Unless anyone has any other suggestions??? :oops:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

A damned good going over with a decent wirebrush and using the correct
penterating fluid - Plusgas spray (NOT WD40!) which, should do it but if
it's still putting up a fight it's then followed by careful localised heat from
one of those pencil flame jobbies ONLY on the side below the bracket of
the wheelarch - there aren't any seals in this joint but obviously the hose
won't like getting a flame on it!! You really don't want to destroy the nut
as that's going to remain on the car not get replaced.

Is your open jaw 11mm a decent tight fit on the nut too?
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Hey buddy, it's a reasonable fit, much better than an open ender, but it has chamfered edges, so I am only gripping about 75% of the available area..... I don't use wd-40, I have been using zx-54 (the miltary stuff) and have been soaking the union since yesterday afternoon (have been out so drown the stuff I had to change today 3 times last night and twice this morning.. the street ice rink slippy!!!! ha...)

One thing I dont have is heat :( and as I am fitting new flexi-hoses I would kinda hope the new ones would out live the car, hence why I was prepared to get busy with the stilsons....

***edit--- just called local motor factors and they have plus gas in stock and are open till 5... off to the shop I go..... Another nights soaking is in order I guess......******
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Try one of those pencil flame with a gas cannister jobbies as they're not
that expensive - and remember the damned matches too*!!

Always a last resort, but works for me!

*matches for the flame torch BTW not the car!!!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

andmcit wrote:*matches for the flame torch BTW not the car!!!
:lol: Not after the grief I've been through to get it through this M.O.T!!!! lol....

I will purchase the plus gas tonight and price up the ol' mini blow torch incase it's needed tomorrow.....

Typical isn't it... this is the last b****y job too, got one side done, this is literally the last job to have another year out of her!!!! :roll:
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Right Then... That's one portion of PlusGas administered.....

feeling brave now and think I might attempt the removal in about an hour, after three or four liberal dousings.....

So what is the difference between plusgas and wd anyway??? :?:
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

what i've had to do before as a LAST resort is mole grips set to quite a tight setting and just use them to crack the nut off. be very careful though not to damage the nut as its easy done. after you've got it to turn even 1/8th of a turn normal spanners should suffice
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

So what is the difference between plusgas and wd anyway??? Question
Plusgas is a dismantling lubricant; WD40 is a corrosion protectant. Different jobs, different fluids :wink:
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Well, I managed to crack something........................... A Tinny........ :D

The old bus has got me beat and, rather than do something drastic, I have made the command decision to liberally soak the offending union in PlusGas and have a normal evening!!!!!

Damn car!!!! lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The nut will be very tight on the end of the flexi and even beyond most flare nut spanners. There is a serious risk of rounding the hexagon and then you can be in a whole world of pain.

I've had to resort to a pair of Bahco 8224 pliers in the past and these are just the job as they can grip the nut in their serrated jaws without any damage and apply plenty of good torque to the job. They perform much better than Mole Grips in this role... For me at any rate...

I'd not be without my Bahco pliers. They have saved the day on may diverse occasions, worth every penny of their cost... :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Bahco tools have always been excellent and the curious thing is that they are closely entwined with the Johanssons Passbitar that I spoke of some time ago.
A bit if info

I can't vouch for the veracity of this but I was told that the adjustable wrench was a Bahco patent* and someone stole the engineering drawings - or at least copied them - and took them to America to manufacture the 'pirate' copies (long before Rolex knock-offs :) )

However, they somehow reversed the copies and the direction of rotation of the adjuster is opposite to the original Swedish patent.

Damn things always confuse me anyway, original or pirate :(

*Some truth in that, apparently.