xantia versus c5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I saw one too... a Volvo 940 vs a Renault modus .. you would get out of the misuse at 50mph but not the Volvo at headon ....!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

KevMayer wrote:What made me consider safety was an article on the Fifth Gear motoring programme.

They did some very graphic tests to demonstrate how much more 'survivable' a crash would be in a modern vehicle.
I saw those, they were very good actually, I enjoyed watching those episodes.

A friends dad went out and got her a Peugeot 106 for her first car, after he thought it was a bit flimsy and watched the 5th gear episode where they hit a tree with a Laguna he went out and bought her one of the early 5 star LagunaIIs with the smallest 1.6 engine instead.

The test between old and new Espace and the Modus vs Discovery was very very good.

A very informative car program, we should have more like it.

Cars move on in many ways, safety is one of the biggest factors about new cars.

Just slightly joining the Saxo thread here, I wonder how many people with lowered cars realise they have also lowered their crash protection beams and any car of normal height will just hit theirs at its softest point. Erm, none?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most of the owners on Parkers that said they would not have another C5 because of electronic problems that they couldn't get fixed.

Peter
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Every PSA car of a similar year uses very similar electronics, that is Comms2000 or multiplexed cars.

Considering the amount of PSA cars on the roads with similar running gear and electrics to the C5, id say reports are not too bad. After all, most reviews are only placed when an owner is dissatisfied, not as often whent he like them as there is less to report.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

True, but most of the 406 ones are good, presumably the electronics are the same.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think it's folly to speak in absolutes.

Damn near every multiplexed PSA I plug the Lexia into, has BSI faults logged and also a radio aerial fault.

Recently worked on a C5 facelift estate that had a permanent power (signal?) supply fault on the steering angle sensor - hence suspension was set harder than it need be. I'd put this down to duff connectors somewhere between BSI, sensors and the H2+ ECU. At least the Xantias have analogue connections to track down in similar cases.

A low mileage country driven C5 that has been garaged, would be a good car. Ditto on a Xantia!

To my way of thinking, the increased use of resistive tracks on C5s (compared to Xantias) means more routine service items are "remove and replace" rather than "remove and clean". Height correctors and accelerator pots, for example. Hence my comments about prior duties of the car.

Taking the emotion out of car purchases is bloody hard - I have often used Excel to compare options, and the outcomes can sometimes surprise.

Cheers, Adam.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Citroenmad wrote:Every PSA car of a similar year uses very similar electronics, that is Comms2000 or multiplexed cars.

Considering the amount of PSA cars on the roads with similar running gear and electrics to the C5, id say reports are not too bad. After all, most reviews are only placed when an owner is dissatisfied, not as often whent he like them as there is less to report.
I'm starting a bring back plugs points condensors carburetors and vacumn operated wipers campaign :lol:
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

.... and dynamo's :D
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

I'd never have a C5 because I found the HDi engines to be choking to drive... Genuinely took all of the excitement out of driving a car when I drove a C5, soft, soggy, droopy, lumbering piece of metal that I just couldn't get on with. Electronic height control is another thing I really detest.

The Xantia on the other hand has proven itself to me to be very nippy, fiery and reasonably taught (Not an activa). The ease of service is amazing, radiator grille off within 30 seconds now to access the fan relays, all bulbs and fuses readily available (Unlike the C5 where the front bumper has to be removed to replace headlight/sidelight bulbs), the brakes felt nicer in the Xantia too, much more reassuring... And of course, the Xantia is a Xantia... It's always going to look the part when polished...

The C5 makes a good taxi due to the space and economy, but for driving experience and fun, it has to be a Xantia every time. As said, mine isn't an Activa, but it has the rear-steer as every Xantia has, and that makes driving swiftly, very fun.

Xantia's are cheaper to run in the long run due to less things being there to break in my opinion. And I've yet to spend over £10 on it (Even with a full service, £8.04 minus the oil).
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

I waited & waited to get the C5 till this year, ..the day came, walked in to the sales room, money in pocket & thought I'll ask for a test drive, just to be diligent & oh am I glad I did.
I was very disappointed.
One of the main points was when I put my foot on the break, the nose dived or more correctly the tail lifted, something that does not happen on the Citroens I have owned thanks to the pivotal rear suspension ( don't know the teck name for it) & something I consider a great safety point ... just personal opinion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98 Xantia V6 MK2
95 Xantia VSX
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

P616VKX wrote:I'd never have a C5 because I found the HDi engines to be choking to drive... Genuinely took all of the excitement out of driving a car when I drove a C5, soft, soggy, droopy, lumbering piece of metal that I just couldn't get on with. Electronic height control is another thing I really detest.

The Xantia on the other hand has proven itself to me to be very nippy, fiery and reasonably taught (Not an activa). The ease of service is amazing, radiator grille off within 30 seconds now to access the fan relays, all bulbs and fuses readily available (Unlike the C5 where the front bumper has to be removed to replace headlight/sidelight bulbs), the brakes felt nicer in the Xantia too, much more reassuring... And of course, the Xantia is a Xantia... It's always going to look the part when polished...

The C5 makes a good taxi due to the space and economy, but for driving experience and fun, it has to be a Xantia every time. As said, mine isn't an Activa, but it has the rear-steer as every Xantia has, and that makes driving swiftly, very fun.

Xantia's are cheaper to run in the long run due to less things being there to break in my opinion. And I've yet to spend over £10 on it (Even with a full service, £8.04 minus the oil).
HDis are a nicer drive than the XUD, even if the XUD appears more robust the HDi is a more refined and easier car to drive thanks to its power band.

You dislike the electronic height control? For what reason? Its more simple, its quicker and it does the same job :? C5s do without hydraulicly operated steering and brakes ran off the suspension system, though this doesnt cause a problem it might appear too ordinary for the die hard Xantia fans.

Of course the Xantia has brakes powered by the hydraulic suspension system and it does make the pedal rather sensitive. The C5 has conventional brakes but they actually work just as well is not better as they are much larger.

I can say you do not have to remove a C5s front bumper to get at the bulbs!

Ive not had any great concerns in the time we have ran C5s, they generally just go on without any hassle. Our C5 estate has done 25K in the 21 months we have had it, other than servicing and tyres it has not needed anything at all. Likewise my C5 has done 5K with me since I got it in Jan and ive not done a thing with it. My last one I had for just over a year, that needed a few bits and pieces doing but nothing costly and our current 110 HDi has been extremely reliable for the 22K miles its done with us. I can't fault them for reliability.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If anything the hdi s are proofing more robust and stronger... there's certainley much less head problems then xud before they get to 200k which I like.... I think that's down to the standard fit laminated gasket... once these are fitted to xuds. The problem goes...

Love the hdi I'm a big fan...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

It really boils down to personal opinion. I've never driven a xantia so cant compare them but my c5 has been the most reliable and one of the cheapest cars to run I have ever had. True, it's not a sports car in the handling stakes, but that's not what its about. It's big, quiet, comfortable, refined, reliable cruiser, and I can change all the bulbs in minutes without removing anything and I hane big hands! A xantia may be a better drive, espically a petrol one if you like revs, but would be no use to me, being too small and light for towing. Different cars for different jobs and different people. I sometimes wonder if this furum should be called the xantia forum!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

We are all stuck in a time warp and don't like modern cars :D
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Peter.N. wrote:We are all stuck in a time warp and don't like modern cars :D
Agreed :lol:

But also the fact that modern Citroens don't really cut it in terms of what a "proper" Citroen is.The designs imo are far too safe and just not quirky or original.

The fact that the latest bog standard C5 has coil sprung suspension says it all really :roll:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o