Engine Bay Undertray

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Engine Bay Undertray

Post by Penguin »

Chaps, a couple of weeks ago I was driving home and all of a sudden I heard a horrendous noise coming from underneath my car. I pulled over to find the engine bay undertray (does it have a better name?) dragging on the floor as the rear bolts had gone missing. I undid the front bolts and removed the tray. It was pretty oily so I left it in the hedge until I could get some plastic sheeting and then I could go pick it up. Following morning I went to get it only to find the usually innefficient council had suddenly discovered efficiency and removed it. I would like to fit another but my question is...... Are all the trays the same? i.e. would a tray from a petrol model and/or a series 2 fit? Or do I need to get one made specifically for a series 1 1.9TD?

Ta.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I've used a TD type on my HDI. Doesn't fit exactly, it touches the lower intercooler pipe, but it didn't seem to be a problem.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

Only the diesels have the undertray; I was given to understand that it was because they couldn't get them to stop leaking oil, so the undertray disguised the fact until it was safely out of warranty..
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

stedmancinques wrote:Only the diesels have the undertray; I was given to understand that it was because they couldn't get them to stop leaking oil, so the undertray disguised the fact until it was safely out of warranty..
Hmmm i don't buy that sorry. My HDi doesnt leak oil at all. sounds a bit like an urban myth
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Most certainly an urban myth. The most likely reasons are, air control for aerodynamics and engine temperature, and, noise suppression.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

My 2.0 Petrol (MKI) has one but V6 (MKII) doesn't
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

Well possibly an urban myth, then. My 2.0 petrol S1 doesn't have an undertray- but it does leak oil! :oops:
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

On XM diesels the recommendation is to remove and junk the undertray.
Due to a foam edging strip they trap moisture and salt water against the bottom of the front subframe. Quite a few XM MOT failures from rusted through bottom plates. No rust treatment on XM subframes just thin black paint. Would expect other Citroens to be similar.
Nasty catch 22 here as well that I got caught on a couple of years ago.
MOT tester fails the car on subframe rust, declares that the subframe it is a suspension component. Warns that weld repair of suspension components is not permitted and that he must fail the car if it is returned newly welded.

John
Xmexclusive
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Well, thanks for all the replies. My TD definitely leaks quite a bit of oil (the main reason I want to replace the tray!) and the tray dissperses it around the countryside far better than it does now! My drive has started to resemble a dalmation. I guess its on the blower to all the scrappys in the area and see if they've got one.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine came off on Saturday.
The Antipollution fault had disappeared last Thursday but has now returned and I am wondering if there is a connection.
I hadn't refitted mine very well, a lack of nuts 'n bolts and places to nut'nbolt them to.
Job for the weekend :)

The leak thing I agree must be a UM - mine leaks not in the slightest - except when I am clumsy with refilling after a service there is no oil on the engine or under it at all. No top-ups between services either.

Never had any leaks on the TD either.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mongoose100 wrote: but V6 (MKII) doesn't
I don't think the V6 ever had one...

I find this a bit odd about the oil leaks... All PSA engines (diesel included) seem reasonably oil-tight if properly maintained.. Most oil seems to escape out of the turbo pipes..

It was expounded on here a while back that one reason* diesels have the tray in order to keep the oil in the sump at a nice temperature. Word was that if the tray is discarded then the oil can run a bit cool.

This is not a problem on the V6 and in this respect it needs all the oil cooling help it can get. An undertray would fry it...

* Other reasons were those of aerodynamics and sound deadening.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deuchebleu
My Cars: xxxxxxxxxx

Post by deuchebleu »

As far as I understand it the reason for fitting the undertrays to diesels only was so that they could meet the EU 'drive by' noise regulations.

John
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

CitroJim wrote:
mongoose100 wrote: but V6 (MKII) doesn't
I don't think the V6 ever had one...

This is not a problem on the V6 and in this respect it needs all the oil cooling help it can get. An undertray would fry it...
Do the 6's get rather hot in the oil department? Do they have a cooler?
Was contemplating putting one on at some stage too, doing a fair bit of towing around NZ's hilly terrain!
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You could always take out a second mortgage and treat yourself to a brand new one :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mongoose100 wrote:[Do the 6's get rather hot in the oil department? Do they have a cooler?
Yes, they do as soon as the mercury hits a reasonable figure and you are pushing on a bit...

In an S2 V6 you're oblivious to it as there's no oil temperature gauge, it's place being taken by the gear position repeater. The S1 V6 has an oil temperature gauge and it's a bit of a frightener really...

Maybe that's why they deleted on the S2....

There is no coller fitted as standard but I reckon one wouldn't come amiss in warmer climes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...