xantia diesel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boeingmech

xantia diesel pump

Post by boeingmech »

Having run my 96 td xantia on vo for the last 4 months the pump has now started leaking :( , it is the Bosch pump with keypad.before I attempt to take it off are there any pitfalls I should look out for?
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi beoing,

If the pumps leaking and your using veggie oil it is probably the seal/s in the pump which have given up the ghost.

If you check Jim's blogg (citrojim) he has an excellent blow by blow account.

My own pump problems has photo's of the pump and also Mike's account(MikeT) in the blogg.

I would say not a hard job but be patient,methodical and clean when striping and rebuilding the pump.

The seal kit for the bosch pump is not dear about £10.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It might be easier to pick up a 2nd hand pump (that's either had the immobiliser disabled or has a known key code so from a Mk1 not a Mk2, or an earlier non-semi-electronic one if you don't mind the ECU light impotently on all the time unless you remove the bulb) and refurbing that, then just do the pump swap.
The advantage of the earlier pumps were that they don't have an immobiliser and aren't armoured.
Some very early immobilised ones though I believe were also armourless.

To disable the keypad immobiliser, start the car, pop out the keypad and disconnect it.
The code is stored in the immobiliser not the keypad.
Replace your keypad with a more useful oddments tray.

2nd hand pumps can be had for around £20
I'm sure if you then refurb the leaking pump and advertise it as being done you'd get more than £20.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

hi guys. :) sorry to hijack the thread but i was just wondering if all the bosch pumps where the same.........ive got a xud engine n where are the seals bought from as mine is leaking on my synergie. :wink:
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

took it to a diesel guy near reading name of peter strong and one of his technicians thought it was leaking from the small cap with 2 screws on the side but the side next to the block, as i told him i was up for taking the pump off/on he gave me the seal for nothing and if i had any probs to give him a call.you dont get many like that nowadays :D ( he wasn,t too keen on using veg)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The problem with the veg is that on these old pumps, the o-rings are hard and cracked.
Hot veg gets into the cracks, and when it cools it polymerises and expands, opening the cracks further.
Eventually the seal gives way totally and the pump starts leaking, bullet proofing your engine with a thick coating of congealed veg that is nigh impossible to remove but helps keep all the nuts and bolts nicely rust free :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

cheers guys. :wink: