changing fuel filter on hdi xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davoxx
(Donor 2020)

changing fuel filter on hdi xantia

Post by davoxx »

i have a 99 110hp hdi xantia that failed the nct on smoke >:(
so i'm going to change the fuel filter ... but there seems to be two types of fuel filters ...
any idea which type it is?
where is the filter located on the hdi?
why?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I doubt the fuel filter will have anything to do with the emissions test.
The only impact a clogged fuel filter may have on a HDI is a problem with buliding up the injection pressure, which is montored by a sensor.
Thus you will have the engine fault lamp lit the moment there is an injection pressure fault - and immediate starting problems as a consequence.

The fuel filter is AFAIR located on the right (drivers) side on inner wing of the engine bay.
Its a can with a sealed lid containing a removable filter cartridge.
The cartridge genuine Citroen part no is : 1901.69

If you have no history on the intake air filter, this is where you should cast an eye ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

AndersDK wrote: If you have no history on the intake air filter, this is where you should cast an eye ...
yeah i'm changing that too :)
but i thought at 120k a fuel filter change might do her good :)
why?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

second question - how do i take out the erg valve?
why?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

AndersDK wrote:The fuel filter is AFAIR located on the right (drivers) side on inner wing of the engine bay.
Its a can with a sealed lid containing a removable filter cartridge.
The cartridge genuine Citroën part no is : 1901.69
No Anders....not on these modern new fangled thingamys! Fuel filter is dead centre of the engine bay. Two pipes on the top above a 22mm plastic nut. There's only 1 type fitted to Xantia HDi by the looks of it. Note that due to the design of the filter housing it's possible for any rubbish on the dirty side of the filter to fall into the clean side whilst changing it. As HDi pumps REALLY don't apprectiate this, it's imperative that you thoroughly clean out the filter bowl when the element is removed. This is best done by removing the entire filter unit, and cleaning it out on the bench. Best way is probably: unclip the two pipes on the top, and the open the drain screw on the front. Once some fuel has drained out, take the top off (it can be tight!), remove th element, and bail out the remaining diesel. Remove the other pipes (three of them!) reach round behind the filter press the clip in and lift it out. Clean it out and refit. To get the pipes off press in the coloured bit and then the pipe should pull off. Some need more persuasion than others! Go careful with the spigots on the filter unit, they can break off. I had to replace the entire unit on mine becuase it was leaking - not a disaster as they are only about £60 from GSF.

Edit: PS, you need to prime the new fuel filter before trying to start the engine - this is easy on a Xantia HDi, just turn the ignition on till you hear the LP pump stop (c 10s), turn it off, then back on again. Do this about 6 times (you should hear the air gurgling back into the tank) and this should be enough get diesel up to the HP pump to start it.
Richard W
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

cheers for that guys!!

any ideas about the erg valve?

want to pass my nct - but failed on too much smoke (a puff of smoke at 5000 rpm) so i'm going to mix petrol in with the diesel and see if she passes.
why?
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

the egr is on the back of the engine on the right hand side but you can block it with a metal plate where it goes into the inlet manifold on the left hand side, i did mine a few weeks ago, get some dipetane from the motor factors and put it into the tank, its the best injector cleaner around and works in petrol or diesel cars and even your home heating
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

on the back of the cylinder head you will find a big stainless steel tube that runs across and joins into the inlet manifold above the flywheel end of the engine. The is the outlet of the EGR valve.

It's held on with two bolts which are a bit fiddly to get out. Remove the bolts and put a in bit of thin steel (I used the top off a sardine tin last time which can be cut to shape with sharp scissors). Put the bolts back, no more EGR. Make sure it secure because if anything get injested into the engine it will destroy it.

Buy some Millers Diesel clean and put a double dose in.

Take the car for a damn good thrash. 4000 rpm and accelerator to the floor up a dual carraigeway or something. This will blow any soot out of the exhaust.

Take it for the MOT retest hot and make them retest it whilst it's hot.
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i got my left and right the wrong way around, the lads in the nct centres will usually warm the engines, i have never seen millers over here but the dipetane will do the job, i have never had a car fail an nct on emissions and have been using dipetane for years, usually €10 for a litre bottle that treats over 100 litres, put about a third of the bottle in with €20 diesel the day or so before the test and it shouldn't have a problem
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

should just come back and say - that changing the fuel and air filter made a good difference in terms of smokage ... but it still needed a good high rev drive to clear out the rest of smoke.

i never got around to cleaning the egr valve, my bad, but i will get to it soon!!
why?