V6 lights a dim....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

V6 lights a dim....

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

Can anyone advise how to brighten up the lights on a V6 Xantia please.

I have already replaced the hi beam 55w with 100w but my wife's Mazada 2 has more illumination!

What about SMALL after market spots, (I don't want the car to look like a bush ute..) any recommendations.
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

If your regulations permit, then replace your dipped beam bulbs with a HID kit from ebay. That is what UK XM owners do to improve the poor dipped beam headlight performance. However there is a cloud on the horizon in the UK where aftermarket headlamp conversions may mean a MOT test fail in the near future when new regulations are introduced.
Ken Hall
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ozzie,

Another good method, as done on my Activa is to supply the headlight bulbs via relays. Use the existing supplies to switch a couple of relays that supply the bulbs direct from the battery via a suitable fuse.

The difference will be immeasurable.

Also, at the same time, check the headlamps earths are good and clean.

Is yours a MK1 or a MK11? The MKII models (Grille lifts with bonnet) have better lights generally than the MK1

Doing this there's no worries about non-standard HID lights failing a roadworthyness (MOT in the UK) test...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

CitroJim wrote: supply the headlight bulbs via relays. Use the existing supplies to switch a couple of relays that supply the bulbs direct from the battery via a suitable fuse.
Not too sure how that is done,... sounds simple but power straight from the battery, how do I put it thru the switch?
Ozzie Kuma
My Cars:

Post by Ozzie Kuma »

job done, relay in followed this diagram, upgraded the bulbs & got 100% increase in light.

thanks all & the author of the diagram.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

98 Xantia V6 MK2
95 Xantia VSX