where is the rear screen heater timer relay?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philjw
My Cars:

where is the rear screen heater timer relay?

Post by Philjw »

Where should I look for the rear screen heater timer relay in a Xantia TD Estate? How will I know that I have found it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The heated rear screen relay also powers heated side mirrors (if fitted) - logically you would then find this relay in the fuse/junction box LHS under facia.
The relay should emit a dim click sound - when pressing the control button on panel.
In the tailgate you have the relay for rear wiper/wash.
Note that fuse F27 (green - 30Amps) is for heated rearscreen & mirrors - check this first.
Fuse F23 (10Amps) is for the the relay coil (and control button) - check also this.
Ignition must be on to power heated screen/mirrors.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Anders,
Thanks for your reply. Just been to check out the fuses & I don't have fuse 23! This place has a fuse like object across the centre marked "SH" I removed this to check it anyway. The result was that the clock and the radio lost their memories. Clock has re set OK but I guess I will have to sing to myself on the way home as I don't have the code with me.
The relay does click but the warning light on the switch does not light and the screen heater elements do not function. Does the fact that the relay clicks eliminate it as the cause or can it still be faulty?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Phil -
What modelyear is your Xantia est. ?
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Anders,
First registered 1 August 1997 but badged as a "Desire", which I think makes it SX spec with aircon but not heated mirrors.
Phil
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

- ok just the basic model year will do - for the layout of electric wiring. Equipment fitted is always market/dealer/version dependent.
The indicator lamp should lit if rearscreen is powered - the bulb is directly feeded off the power to rearscreen. Except the dim/pilot light power to the bulb - which is feeded from ignition.
The relay is at least activated from the tick sound - but power contacts may be burned - cutting off output power.
The relay is both relatively cheap & easy to replace - would be my first option.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Thanks Anders,
I'll loop out the switch to eliminate that first & if no joy I'll change the relay.