Where to start the service?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FenXantia
My Cars:

Where to start the service?

Post by FenXantia »

Where should I satrt?
About a year and a half ago was the last service! [:I]
looking to change Glowplugs, filters and oil.....hoping glowplug may cure rough starting!
Any thing else I should change?[?][?][?]
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

airfilter is a must!! on a car of that age the air filter will need changing quite often, you'll notice a huge difference. If you know how long since the diesel filter was changed you can probably avoid changing it.
If its been non serviced for a long time then its probably a good idea to flush the coolant system out completely
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

..............and please, pretty please, drain the LHM, clean the filters & refill with fresh LHM+ before all those ever so common hydraulic problems caused usually through neglect not design start to pop up & drive you insane.[:D][8D][B)]
Alan S [:)]
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

...Drain the LHM?!?! How much of the stuff is in there (i.e how big is the container I need?), how do you drain it? Is it in the Haynes manual? (I have got the manual but it is 8 miles away at the moment)
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

...tokk the air filter out last weekend and gave it a good bannging, covered the wife's car in all sorts ! [:D].
OK comments taken on board, but is they a systamatic approach I should take in doing the service, it may be spread out over several weekends....time/money constaints.
Once again thanks all
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

...I also remeber the MOT tester putting flexable brake hoses need attention on the last MOT pass, easy job?
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Assuming we're talking front hoses then it's simply a case of swapping them over when you drain and refill the LHM. Easiest to do it then, as if you're doing a thorough job you'd need to bleed the brakes anyway.
Rears can be a bit more tricky to bleed - but again, if you're being thorough you'll need to do this also with a fluid change. You need to get some weight on the back end as the rear brake pressure depends on load and is fed from the suspension circuit.
Follow the Haynes procedure with that in mind and you should be OK.
Adrian
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello folks,
I can thoroughly recommend changing the LHM fluid and cleaning the filters and inside of reservoir; i did it to my dad's Xantia last weekend as i had to fit a new accumulator sphere anyway. The old one was a re-con sphere and it had been on the car for 4 years!! Needless to say, it was shafted!![xx(] Regulator clicking every three seconds, aaarrrggghhh!!!!! It was worth doing the job anyway; at idle it clicks every 3 to 4 minutes now and it no longer drops down onto the bump stops from a cold start.[:D][^] Ride quality and feel of brakes are much improved too, especially as i changed the rear anti sink sphere a couple of months back too. The car is a '94 M plate and has covered 112,000 miles, and judging by the state of the filters i don't think they have ever been cleaned and treated to a fluid change in the cars life. I do love working on Hydro-Cits!![:D][^]
Cheers, Rich.
Xantia Exclusive HDi.
Rich
My Cars:

Post by Rich »

Hello again!
Forgot to say, going back to what Adrian said about bleeding the brakes; i also did that, but i did it as described in the Haynes manual with the suspension on it's highest setting with no problems. Just gets any old fluid/air out of the brakes as they are "dead ends" in the system.[^]
Cheers, Rich.
Xantia Exclusive HDi.