a strange synergie request

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave2011

a strange synergie request

Post by dave2011 »

hi guys. i dont suppose anyone has a 97 reg 1.9td synergie n they could messure the width of the power steering pully?.......... :) reason been as the aux belt broke on mine a while ago so i replaced the tensioner and belt..........belt was a nightmare to fit due to been tight.its started to squeek so i decided to take the tensioner off the grease it up and refit but could,nt get the belt back on so i went to my local car shop as i thought id been sold the wrong belt in the first place n got a bigger belt............. many visits to 2 car shops and many belts later i discover that the power steering pump has been changed so its got a bigger pully on and thats why i couldnt get a propper belt to fit.apperntly they are 2 types of belt for this car.........a air con model n non air con type belt which is mine so i think the pump is off a aircon model n just want to confirm this.cheers guys. :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

One method to determine the belt size needed is to wrap a length of string around the pulleys following the line of the belt and then measure the string length when pulled very tight. Subtract about 10mm from the measurement and then go to your local (good) factors and ask for a belt of this length and one each side of it.

The belts have a generic part number that begins with the number of pulley grooves (normally 6 but count them) and the letters 'PK' and a number indicating the length in mm.

Say, for sake of argument, you measure 1550mm and the pulleys have six grooves. Go to the factor and ask for a 6PK1550 belt or the nearest stock size to that.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

cheers jim but after trying loads of belts ive give up on trying to get the right type so im guna change the pump if i can find one for it. 8-)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Why not ask this seller what the measurements of the pulley are;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-SYNERGIE- ... 0515917321
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

good thinking. :) could make a note of the numbers on that pump n compare with mine?....... :wink:
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

If it helps. my 99 - 1.9 Td Synergie ( Aircon )Uses a 6PK -1735

Not teaching egg - sucking , but are you aware the bottom idler pulley wheel is on an eccentric adjuster ? if this is not slackened off first you will never get the proper belt back on , but it will force - off , giving the impression that too small a belt is fitted .

Some Garages twist the aux tensioner jockey wheel right up, then fit a larger size belt than correct to compensate . leaving no free play at all.

Usually resulting in the tensioner bearings seizing or collapsing , the aux belt jumping off - or snapping , and in the case of my 406 getting behind the cam cover and jumping the timing belt ! and killing the engine . :evil:

Have also seen aux belts incorrectly routed ? I have a sketch of mine since " serpentine " is putting it mildly.

For what it's worth I always fit " Gates " belts .

Dippy
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

cheers dippy. :) info is greatly appreciated. :) im just learning about citroens as this is my first one.mines non air con n as far as im aware thee is a extra tensioner that mine dont have. been a while since ive looked in the manual.got one of those pocket mechanic books. 8-) the reason i had to replace mine was the belt was that tight it made the tensioner squeak then finialy sieze.......... :evil: was like this when i bought it n itsstill not fixed lol. :cry:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have recently had a similar problem with an XM which usually don't give this sort of trouble. I needed an alternator belt for a 2.1 manual no aircon. one suppler on ebay listed four belts for the 2.1, manual, auto with or without aircon. After a lot of confusion I took the belt off and measured it, 2.1 manaul without aircon? - No, 2.1 auto without aircon. :x :shock: :(

Peter