Advice needed ASAP! Xantia Heater stuck on hot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trooper30
My Cars:

Advice needed ASAP! Xantia Heater stuck on hot

Post by trooper30 »

Hiya fellas, long time no speaky! Right have a real problem. The hearter in the wifes Xantia is stuck on hot, slide switch has no effect. The blowers dont work either but I aint to bothered about that. She is off on Holiday with the kids tomorrow an 10.30 and its gonna be torture going to Somerset from Milton keynes with the heater stuck on hot in this weather!
Sooooo has anyone got a quick fix for this, even if I have to break somthing to get the heat off, can always repair it when she gets back from holiday!

Any ideas at all are worth trying

Cheers Fellas
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If its cable operated for the flap then the cable has probably come off or broken.

I'm not 100% familiar with these heater box's though, but the water is circulated all the time, a simple flap controls hot / cold by passing air around the matrix or not.

If you can examine the panel with the heater controls to see if the cable has broken or not and then look up in the footwells to see which one it is (move the others so you know which one is not working) assuming that one is externally accessible.

Sorry this reply is a bit generic.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Not sure if the hot and cold slider on the panner is cable driven or not on her 2000 HDi, had a look and cant really feel any cable tension on the slider, where as I can on the other sliders just not the hot and cold
Last edited by trooper30 on 19 Apr 2011, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The heat control flap is motorised in the Xantia and it's possible the gears have stripped/otherwise become damaged. Clogzz has written about it in the past so a search of his old posts will be worth mulling over.

The end of the motor can be spotted if you look up at the bottom of the heater box from the passenger footwell. A quick "fix" night be to remove the motor and drive the flap closed.

It is not possible to easily or quickly bypass the matrix.

Where in Somerset are you going to? Butlins at Minehead by any chance? I ask as I'm a Somerset lad and spent many of my formative years near Minehead...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

They have the auto temperature control dont they. Is the fan sensor in the dash still working?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:They have the auto temperature control dont they. Is the fan sensor in the dash still working?
That normally causes them to be cold Chris :twisted:

It's a good point though, the aircon system bristles with sensors and a lexia is really needed to check it over for good health. Also, a Lexia can motor the flap independently of the controls to test the mechanical aspects of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Not sure if this is a factor but about 6 monthe ago the fan blower stoped working, after many questions asked and lots of tearing hair out I bodged by shorting out 2 particular pins on the green relay in the drivers footwell above the throttle peadle. It all worked peachy, aircon, blower settings, the lot
full thread here so you can see exactly what I did

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/p ... ly&t=35349

Wifes just told me that yesterday that the wire used to short the pins fell off, she tried to shove it back in, there was a small blue flash and a fizzle, nothing worked at all, heater stuck on hot. And all the day before she goes to Taunton on the hotest day of the year so far!

Women, cant live with them, cant shoot them!
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

CitroJim wrote:
It's a good point though, the aircon system bristles with sensors and a lexia is really needed to check it over for good health. Also, a Lexia can motor the flap independently of the controls to test the mechanical aspects of it...
Yea your right there Jim, really anoys me that the only problem with this Hdi is the bloody fans and heater! The car itself is mint with a lovely engine, You seen it yourself Jim so you know what I mean! But this heater and blower is the bloody bane of my life! :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

trooper30 wrote:You seen it yourself Jim so you know what I mean! But this heater and blower is the bloody bane of my life! :?
Indeed, funnily enough I was thinking of it last weekend, one of the cleaned and tidiest Xantias I've ever seen :D

You'd better nip over and see me at a mutually convenient time, see if we can sort it...
Jim

trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

CitroJim wrote:
trooper30 wrote:You seen it yourself Jim so you know what I mean! But this heater and blower is the bloody bane of my life! :?
Indeed, funnily enough I was thinking of it last weekend, one of the cleaned and tidiest Xantias I've ever seen :D
You'd better nip over and see me at a mutually convenient time, see if we can sort it...
Yup will deffo do that Jim before I get so hacked off with it and take a still-saw to it! Well to avoid the onslaught of the hot heater the wife has decided to leave for Taunton at 5am hopefully arriving before the day warms up.
Gives me 10 days to hopefully find an answer to the heater issue before the summer really starts, if not the cars gonna have to go as I cant have the kids riding about in a microwave. It's so annoying as only a few days ago it was all working perfectly with ice cold aircon, and now it's a furnace in there. :roll:
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thanks for the reference, Jim ! :)

Motorised flap topic about lack of heat, but same cause:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33379

As a stopgap you may close the vents and set to recirculated air so there won’t be any heat coming in with the blower not working.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

surely removing the fuse for the blower would be a quick bodge or do other important circuits use the same one
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

411514 wrote:surely removing the fuse for the blower would be a quick bodge or do other important circuits use the same one
Even without the blower running there is still airflow as the car moves.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool