Jon

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

Jon

Post by sooty »

In a thread you answered a few weeks ago about Turbo diesel tuning, you mentioned you had a Van Aaken Optimisation carried out on one of your cars. You mentioned about a valve with two pipes at the side of the engine compartment. Was this for the bleed for the waste gate to increase the boost pressure or to control the boost pressure to the fuel boost valve.
Sooty [;)]
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I made a tentative enquiry to VA and this is basically what they said, my car is 1998 1.9TD with ECU.
They perform permanent adjustments to the mechanical fuel pump. I did not directly ask about the turbo but there was no mention of it. They expect approximately a 20% increase in BHP and torque. They also expect a reduction in fuel consumption as the engine has to be thrashed less to keep up with traffic (my interpretation). They require the car for half a day and the cost is £385.
If they deliver (sorry but I am a sceptic at heart) I'd say it's the bargain of the century, particularly as I now believe I'm getting less that the 34mpg I previously quoted elsewhere on this site.
One word of caution, the bit I have not researched yet is the insurance companies reaction, I have a gut feeling that they may not like it. It may be more cost effective long term just to swap to a 110bhp car.
Mark_sp
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I'm visiting VA on the 22nd for piggyback ECU for my C5. As they set them up for each individual car, they can't give exact figures but I have been told to expect in the region of 170BHP and 320ft/lb torque up from 136BHP.
My insurance company are charging the firm I work for an additional £112 per year for the privelege.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Sorry lads, but mine is a 1996 ZX td, it don't have a ECU, just a Lucas mechanical pump without the gizmo's.
I had a booklet from VA some years ago, and as you say they tweek the pump and slighty increase the turbo boost. They also mention that they increase the Fuel settings for both on and off boost, also they say they are able to control the excess fueling on full throttle and boost. Yet as you said it improves the MPG at normal driving.
Jon replied to someones post a couple of weeks ago, where they wanted info on a ZX td (Ghostrider-11th June). He mentioned about the valve I earlier mentioned. I thought that this valve could be for controlling the excess fueling or the turbo boost.
Any Ideas??
Sooty
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sorry, missed this post.
Yes, Van Aaken optimise the pump, then whack up the boost on the non ECU turbo diesels.
I'm sorry I don't have the car to look at that top adjustable valve, my money would be on it controlling boost. I will see if I can "Phone a friend" on this one as another customer I know is well into turbo tuning and he might tell us some more.
Obviously VA will not fully disclose what they do otherwise we'd all be at it!