xantia S2 Radio Woes Fixed at last

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You're right Steve, I would :D :D

Those Vox Olympians are lovely. Form and function but oh, what a price!!!

$33,000 for 8 feet of speaker wire :shock: You're having us on surely?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It's in the link Jim!

That is quite an interesting blog - see if you can find the £7.4M speaker - that's right, a single speaker for over seven million pounds.
I won't be able to afford one this week :twisted:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

We all know of the astronomical prices of audio interconnects and speaker cables and it is easy to be seduced.

Over the weekend my son has been in Scotland which has permitted me the rare opportunity to listen to the 'proper' stereo, not the Sonab toy in the dining room.

I had rediscovered Tori Amos and chucked a couple of her CDs on, followed by a couple of Fiona Apple ones and was struck with how tremendous they sounded (too used to listening to YouTube).
Then David Crosby's "If Only I Could Remember My Name..." (bit too close for comfort, that title) and was again assailed by the clarity and depth, the music shimmering in the air and the soundstage precise yet expanded.

After several hours it suddenly struck me that I had bought and fitted new interconnects between the pre and power amps.
Never listened to the stereo after fitting them the forgot them.

I have long intended to do this but the last time I enquired, the Vanden Hul silver interconnects for the job were £180 each.
These were bought on eBay, from China, for the glorious sum of £12 including postage.
The magic was that they are XLR connectors and use a protocol inherent in the amplifiers to enhance the signal and diminish background noise.
Always quiet amps, the intertrack silences are now deep black, the high frequencies clearer with no hint of stridency and the bass deeper, richer and less 'plummy'

Seriously cheap fix.

Can't wait for him to go to France next month :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

What makes a silence black? :P Can't it just be perfect or deep?

Your appended description reminds me of guitarists who talk about the "brown sound"? :lol:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:What makes a silence black? :P Can't it just be perfect or deep?

Your appended description reminds me of guitarists who talk about the "brown sound"? :lol:
I generally associate music with colours and silence is black for me.
Mainly to illustrate the utter silence of the bits between the tracks though or silence in passages.
Admittedly hyperbole but that's what it is for :)