Xantia Matrix connector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Good news and well done for coming up with the diagnosis and solution, Mike! You're experienced enough to do the other matrix yourself now, right? :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KennyW wrote:Hi All,

When I glued it I think I used araldite. I have used this on many things in the past and it is remarkable how it copes :)

Kenny
The slow-setting stuff is excellent if used exactly as directed..

I've had excellent results with Plastic Padding Super Steel Epoxy. For these sort of jobs it has the added benefit of high heat resistance...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 and I found another problem today with pattern matrixes :evil:

Try as hard as we could, we just couldn't get the connector to sit deeply enough into the matrix socket for the clip to engage. It felt like there was something stopping it.

Looking at this old tread and the clip length problem, I carefully removed the clip from the connector but the connector still wouldn't mate correctly.

In the end we found the spigots on the connector were too long for the matrix socket and these were fouling at the base of the socket.

The cure was to cut around 3/8" off each spigot with a junior hacksaw and tidy it up with a file. The when sufficient had been removed, the connector was tested for clicking into place before fitting the O rings....

Firstly, too little was removed and it was necessary to revisit to shave a little more from the spigots. Finally it all came good but sadly there was a small weep from one of the pipes where the joint had become strained from the very difficult removal from the old matrix socket :cry:

A drop of good Araldite should fix that.

My first recommendation is that before fitting a new matrix do check that the connector fits it properly. It's a lot easier to do the connector mods then rather than afterward when the matrix is in place...

My second recommendation is to get a genuine Valeo one rather than a pattern....

My third recommendation is to run away very fast from any Xantia with a duff matrix :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

When i did mine it was such a pain that i got to the last hurdle to find the problem ! If i did it again i would swap the new matrix kneck with the original one as you know that fits ok !
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

imperial21 wrote:When i did mine it was such a pain that i got to the last hurdle to find the problem ! If i did it again i would swap the new matrix kneck with the original one as you know that fits ok !
Yes, that's not a bad idea but be careful, the Valeo and the pattern one may just differ sufficiently in this area to be the cause of a new leak... It's a risky strategy in my opinion...
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
imperial21 wrote:When i did mine it was such a pain that i got to the last hurdle to find the problem ! If i did it again i would swap the new matrix kneck with the original one as you know that fits ok !
Yes, that's not a bad idea but be careful, the Valeo and the pattern one may just differ sufficiently in this area to be the cause of a new leak... It's a risky strategy in my opinion...
especially as thats where mine was leaking from in the first place.

the activa can stay in the naughty corner for a good while yet and watch its younger sibling go out into the world day after day after its performance this weekend!!! :evil:
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: the activa can stay in the naughty corner for a good while yet and watch its younger sibling go out into the world day after day after its performance this weekend!!! :evil:
Chris, I think you'd better let the good people of the FCF know about your Activa's little pantomime performance this weekend.... :wink:

But yes the :evil: emoticon does rather sum it up somewhat succinctly...
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
Chris570 wrote: the activa can stay in the naughty corner for a good while yet and watch its younger sibling go out into the world day after day after its performance this weekend!!! :evil:
Chris, I think you'd better let the good people of the FCF know about your Activa's little pantomime performance this weekend.... :wink:

But yes the :evil: emoticon does rather sum it up somewhat succinctly...
bloody thing.

(that is all for now until my blood has come down below boiling point)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Having changed the matrix on several forms of Xantia the CT turbo engine is the worst version I've come across, access to the connection on the bulkhead requires quadruple jointed skinny arms with the strength of Charles Atlas :evil:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH