Tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

Tyres

Post by skypilot »

My recently purchased ZX TD has Continental EcoContactEP tyres, 175/65 on 14" alloys. Altough they're claimed to cut fuel consumption and improve braking, they seem to give quite a harsh ride and I've noticed this on my wife's Corsa which also has EcoContact tyres.
Any suggestions for when they're eventually replaced? As I do 60 miles a day, I'm looking for comfort rather than handling ability.
ZX TD Dimension
Opel Manta GTE Exclusive Coupe
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you sure the tyres are the problem - we've put them on the front of our 1.9D ZX (steel wheels) and they seem fine and as good as what they replaced - ie no difference.
As a matter of interest the 'eco' bit can make a differene. I recently went on a long run in my BX TD estate and after 120 miles stopped for a rest on the M1. I had been travelling at about 70 on the M1 nd similar speeds on the other roads and I noticed that the one 'eco' tyre I have (Avon - part of a pair I bought) was noticeably cooler than the other 3.
Jeremy
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

I suspect that these tyres achieve their effects by being stiffer in their construction and thus offering less rolling resistance - at the expense of ride comfort of course.
I have 4 Michelin Energy tyres on my BX which, run at the recommended pressures, produce a ride akin to that of a bobsleigh. [:0]
Trial and error produced a pressure some 5psi lower than standard, all round, which resulted in better grip, better ride and no excessive heat on a long high-speed run.........
Tests indicate that contact patch area remains identical and there are no adverse wear patterns after 3,000 miles.
Hope that helps.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm beginning to think that no two tyres are made the same these days.
My CX had Michelins on it when I bought it. On the way home, I managed to have a tread leave the casing. Within the first month, I did the spare & another road tyre. As I had a variety of tyres & wheels floating around I just made do with a miss & match for a year or so as I had no long trips planned, however a week or two back I needed the car for a long trip & found the piggy bank was rattling so I couldn't afford top "name" tyres so I went to a local tyre chain & bought their home brand specials for A$79 a tyre. With great trepidation I set off on the 800 klms round trip only to find that the car is the best it has ever been to drive. On the trip home it rained & again, handled a treat in the wet. It's comfortable & the tyres are quiet....I'm over the moon.
Yesterday, I ordered tyres for the BX 16V so it was a case of more decisions. Wasn't brave enough to try my El cheapo brand but after much investigating I find that (of all brands) Dunlop have just released a new tyre that has apparently taken off like the wind. Tyre sellers are using them on their cars and even the tyre fitters at the place where I an getting them have swung across to them & rave about them & no, I didn't come down with the last shower, I actually know these guys personally, they have been so popular that the only set they can get for my BX are in Melbourne, about 2500 klms away from me so I won't get them until later part of next week.
Once I get them on the car & give them a try, I'll post & advise if they're half as good as they all reckon they are. Should be interesting to see how they perform on a BX. Might be getting a bit brave but I suppose someone has to try them.
Alan S