Driveshaft Gearbox Oil Seal: ZX 1.9D

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

Driveshaft Gearbox Oil Seal: ZX 1.9D

Post by geb042 »

A fortnight ago, I had both driveshafts replaced on my ZX 1.9D to cure a drubbing / knocking noise that was happening on right turns. Replacing the driveshafts cured the problem.

I supplied the garage with the parts to do the job that consisted of AMK recon driveshafts and genuine Citroen end gearbox oil seals.

Unfortunately, one of the new oil seals is now leaking oil.

Before I taking this further, I was wondering if these oil seals have a reputation for giving problems?

In particular, I'm wondering whether fitting recon driveshafts may be the cause of the problem - i.e. during the remanufacturing process, the shafts are shotblasted, so could end up being of a slightly smaller circumference than before thus not gripping the new ring-shaped seal quite so tightly?

Is this a likely cause, or more a case of bad workmanship?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The seals are a bit delicate and easily damaged if care is not taken when inserting a driveshaft. In fact there was a special protector available to obviate damage.

That said, if you go careful then damage is easily enough avoided.

The seals themselves are reliable and I'd say it was a case of damage upon installation.

The good thing is, they're easy enough to replace although you will need to drain the oil...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

genuine seals usaly have a nylon giude at the entrance to stop such damage,

quite offten the aftermarket smaller of the two seals have the same,

i would sudgest that the garage has not either not fitted the new seals, or they have been fitted on the scew (not quite square),

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd agree with the posts above.

You can damage the housing if you are very clumsy but I've yet to see anyone do this. I tended to use a large pry bar and insert it at the top and use that to pull them out (I did not push the bar fully in so it would scrape the housing!)

Other methods are a few self tapping screws or a proper hook tool (I do have one somewhere)

I'd guess (as above) they were not put in squarely. Again its possible to do that with a soft faced hammer perfectly well, although a proper tool (well a large socket bearing on the outer edge) is good too.

They should only be inserted till they are flush, not forced in anymore than that. They do not like being re-used though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats the other cause as Andy says it might be they have shuved the seals in to far, then the sealing suface will not sit were its spozed to,

regsards malcolm
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Everyone - cheers for the replies.

Unfortunately, the guy who did it for me won't do this as a remedial and wants me to pay for putting a new seal in again! Reason? Because I supplied the parts (including the new seal) it could be the seal that's at fault and not the mechanic!.

Judging by your replies, the consensus is that the fault's not the seal but the workmanship!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

As far as I can recall, I've only had one maybe two faulty new seals over say ten years, so I have to agree with what's posted above they are reliable.

By faulty I mean they started leaking a short time after fitment.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

at least if you do it yourself you will see what the fault was,

regards malcolm
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Well, the place that fitted it refused to sort this out as a remedial job, so I've gone elsewhere.

Had another new seal fitted and the leak is still there though the original seal was not fitted in properly.

After taking the car on an extended run (to try and bed the seal in) the leak is continuing, so it must be a defective driveshaft. The size of the tune of the shaft is probably either too small following remanufacture (i.e. shot blasting) or is not a true circle in shape, hence the seal not being able to seal against it properly.

I knew there would be problems with recon driveshafts, but at least the AMK ones come with 12month guarantee, so I'll be putting in a claim for another unit plus labour costs!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have never found any prob's with re/con driveshafts,

i would have thought the re/manufacturing company will fit new CV joint and inner joint/cup,

i think your fault could well be as Andy says the bunch who did the job first time round, damaged/gouged the diff houseing with whatever they prized the old seal out with,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the leak is confined to the RH (long) driveshaft side than the seal housing, that also houses the speedo drive, can be relatively easily replaced in-situ. This housing is a tad fragile and heavy-handedness may have cracked it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
geb042

Post by geb042 »

The seal with the leak is the neaside. I've now done 200 miles in the car over the weekend, but it's still been leaking so I guess replacing the driveshaft is the next step. the garage where I've been didn't mention any other damage that may be causing the leak.
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Well, I've had another new recon driveshaft fitted and the leak appears to have stopped!

Consequently, I've now hit AMK with a warranty claim for the cost of the replacement shaft, sundries and labour costs. It looks like the shaft itself was thousands out and wasn't causing a proper seal.

My only grumble now is that at about 1250 revs (which you can accellerate from on a diesel) I get quite a loud rumbling from the gearbox area, as if a mounting is loose. This noise was always there before when the engine was about to labour before I'd depress the clutch when coming to a halt. Since the new shaft's been fitted, that noise is more pronounced.

In fact, since having recon shafts fitted, although the original fault (drubbing noise) has been cured, the car doesn't seem to roll along as smoothly. I can see why everyone goes for recon (price), but i don't think they're always what they're cracked up to be.