Xantia Clonk and Window

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FenXantia
My Cars:

Xantia Clonk and Window

Post by FenXantia »

Hi
My Xantia makes an intermitant "CLONK" when being driven, can someoen give me some direction as to what it could be? or where to start looking please?
Passenger side electric window will not work from switch on door, but will work from switch on centre console, any ideas?
Thanks[:)]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We need a bit more info....
Clonk - Can you narrow it down to when/where/under what conditions? Where does it come from (front/rear) etc etc
Window - switch on centre console - er? - only ever fitted with door switches AFAIK - maybe someone has substituted a centre switch for the door switch? Anyhow, problems with a window that work on one switch but not another are almost certainly down to dirt in the switch.
Richard
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

The clonk happens during general driving, normally when there is a sudden change in road profile, and sometime when hard round corners and roundabouts! It always seems to do it when the wife is in the car with me and she says it comes from the back!
She is always sitting in the back when we go out. so biased opinon? When I sat in the back last weekend it sounded like it was the front but then again I had been drinking!
in all honesty it sounds around the middle to front of the car
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If the noise comes from the front when the car rides over a ridge in the road or a pothole, its a good pointer towards a ball joint or lower arm bush.
If it comes from the front when the steering is on full lock then that points to a drive shaft.
The other area could be an engine mounting which would normally be heard when the accelerator is applied/released sharply.
From the rear it would point to the rear arm bearings.
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

Thanks gives me some areas to look at!
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

sounds like it could be a drop-link, they are relatively inexpensive to replace.
Mark_sp
FenXantia
My Cars:

Post by FenXantia »

Ok My xantia failed the MOT for Near side front lower ball joint excessive play.
...I am thick which side is that? Drivers?
How easy to replace for a DIY'er who is a complete Jonah when it comes to cars?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You need a special tool for the work :
http://www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tool ... 3583P1518M
The swivel joint is peened 2 places - drill or bend out - then heat the joint well to soften the Locktite - immediately unwinding it.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

near side is the left when sitting in the drivers seat facing forward (or is you prefer the west when the car points northward) - how to remember - left / near both have 4 letters!
Have a good search for swivel joints an similar on this site. Similar joints are used on BX and others and I seem to remeber that the general opinion was that the tool was ok for doing up and getting the thing undone was something else.
I'm sure Anders has done the job using his technique but still worth a look before you get stuck.
Jeremy<font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black"><font color="black"></font id="black">