S2 Xantia V6 - Apologies in Advance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citroenxm wrote:Ah jim... Only managed to get home.. Today i have the most awfull stinkey cold in nose and head and feel absolutley crap!

Paul
Oops sorry about that, I've been suffering from Danielle's cold for the past couple of days :oops:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote:Have you press the horn in the car and listened for a click??

Ive no idea where it is... the only problem I had on an S2 once was the multi switch behind the steering wheel that also carries the Air Bag signal and radio controls button signals..

Sorry Dave, I cant be more usefull.... just useless..

Paul
Paul,

Dont be daft, you and Jim have been my saviours in this thread. And there are still about three or four things to sort out after this one. :oops:

Time for stupid question number five..... Would the horn/horn relay work with the engine off??

Also just found the following from an earlier FCF thread.
rdj104 wrote:Coming back with the answer on this one, for future reference for others.

I fixed my horn problem, turned out it was one of the connectors near the steering wheel that had been savaged, some soldering iron work fixed it.

But anyway, yes my Xantia does have a relay for the horn, as I suspect must have all mk2 xantias, not because there is (or is not) a compressor to activate, but because sending all the current for the horn up a little ribbon cable to the steering wheel just makes no sense.

There are a load of relays down in the driver's footwell, you have to unclip some of the carpet to get to them. There you will see various random relays and 3 or 4 green ones in a line. I have 2 exclusives Hdi's, one has 4 relays, the later one has just 3, and a gap for one (ie no relay base) near the door.
The relay in question is in the second hole, working from door to centre of car, on the 3 relay car, the one closest to door, on 4 relay car 2nd one from door.
To test the horn, use a jumper to connect the terminal at front side of car, to one at the back side. The 2 terminals to the sides are the trigger to the relay that come from the steering wheel.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
Will hopefully sort this tomorrow, then its just the temp sender unit, electric rear windows/sunroof.

Cheers all.

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, the horn will work with the ignition off. Look at my diagrams and you'll see it's powered via F7 independent of the ignition switch.

Next problem? :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote:Dave, the horn will work with the ignition off. Look at my diagrams and you'll see it's powered via F7 independent of the ignition switch.
Yes, I did have a look but it made my brain hurt thinking of my Physics lessons 20+ years ago.

Probably reading it totally wrong, but is 2505 a relay. Because of the 12V live feed, just wondered if the relay is stuck "on".

But then the radio control buttons, all seem to be going via that route as well, and they al work fine??

Thanks again

- Dave -
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dave,

Yes, 2505 is the relay. It switches the 12V to the horns. The location diagram shows where the relayt is located and if you press the horn button you should hear the relay click. If you hear it click but cannot locate which one it is, try touching kit as you'll feel it click too..

Chances are, if the radio controls work and the airbag lights are correctly extinguised, the rotary coupler is good.

You can do tests at the realy base by unplugging it and using a test meter on the realy base socket...

The relay can be tested by swapping it with a same-coloured one. Your scrapper 2.1 should be able to provide one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Xac wrote:
citroenxm wrote:Ah jim... Only managed to get home.. Today i have the most awfull stinkey cold in nose and head and feel absolutley crap!

Paul
Oops sorry about that, I've been suffering from Danielle's cold for the past couple of days :oops:
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
So, can we assume you're not well today then Paul?

I prescribe a good dose of V6 Restoration, taken three times daily..

Get well soon Paul...
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Worse yesterday.. Still bad today but im in work but suffering....

Thanks jim..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

I think the car hates me.

Just had 30 mins, so popped out to have a look for the horn relay and do a couple of other things.

Thought the relay was in the drivers footwell, so pulled all the carpet back and then realised its "under" the dashboard, above the standard fuses.

Put the carpet back and then tried to have a look at the relays, no clicking on any of them but a real git to get to let alone have a look at.

Will carry on with that tomorrow.......

Then fitted the drivers sun visor, and refitted the heater controls as they were skew wiff. All done, couple more things ticked off the list :D :D

But then :? :( :? :(

Realised the electric seats no longer move and the blower has stopped working.

These things are sent to try us, but got the distinct feeling of one step forwards, two steps back today. :( :( :(

More details tomorrow.

Cheers

- Dave -
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

AAArrrgghhh... Help :oops:

Well had a look tonight to try and figure out why the blower and seats no longer work.

Retraced what I had a look at yesterday, and found this "additional" relay connected/hanging. On closer inspection two of the connections have come loose.

Recrimped them and thought "what's the worse that could happen"?? Well the worse that could happen is blow the electrics.

Still got 12V, as the alarm and central locking work, and one of the wires has a 12V feed. But not getting any dashboard lights at all (other than door open symbol)

Key In, Turned dont even get battery light on dash, let alone anything else. Have I fried the ECU???, or is there another fuse relay that can take the whole system down. I was thinking Alarm, but that still works..

Any advice/pointers would be warmly received as always..... as I dont even know what this is let alone how to fix the damage I have caused.

Did not even take the one step forward today, just the two steps back..

Thanks again

- Dave -
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

That looks more an After Market Mod relay thats been fitted... as all the wires look red to me....

Check the LARGE fuses in the fuse box behind the battery dave.. they are the Main supply fuses...you cannot miss them..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

dad had satnav fitted to it so it might be from that, i don't know what the wires are he took it to an ICE place to install it.

or it might be the standard mod done to xantias.

where to do the wires go?
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

S2 cars dont need the HRW and blower mod normally as Citroen fitted this as a standard revision on S2 cars..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote: Check the LARGE fuses in the fuse box behind the battery dave.. they are the Main supply fuses...you cannot miss them..

Paul
She lives,,,

Cheers Paul, Managed to blow the 60A one.

Going to try and chase the wires back at some point. Just wondered if they had run the feed for the relay, off the power seats/blower circuit.
hence why they both stopped working.

For the moment though, just going to tape them up and try and concentrate on the horn.

Thanks again,

- Dave -
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Going to have another look at this the weekend, if I get the chance.

However bound to be some Car boot sales or something that SWMBO wants to go to... :lol:

As per previous updates, I've now lost power to the fan motor and electric seats. Checked the fuses for both and they were not blown.

Just wondered if there were any relays for these as well, and if so where??

(Need to try and get the seats working at least, 'cos cant easily get to the relays under the dash for the horn issue with the position the seat is currently in)

Thanks again

- Dave -