S2 Xantia V6 - Apologies in Advance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Well finally had a bit of time this afternoon to do some work.

"P" clips all fitted and both pipes now secure. Have put a little mark on the connector so can keep my eye on it when I do start using. (also keeping a 12mm spanner in the car, just in case :D )

Fitted the expansion tank off the breaker car, and did a bit of a codge job on the extra pipe, until the "seal/block" arrives from Citroen.
However now not certain if the temp sender unit works as did not move, but then only ran the car for less than five mins.

Not a drop of LHM left the connection, so may be on to a winner. (But dont want to get my hopes up)

Swapped the air filter bracket over... awaiting delivery of PUG 406 air box.

Jobs for tomorrow:

1) Try and fix the horn, as totally dead. Hoping the unit in the passenger wing is at fault, as the its had a small bump there as the foglight was smashed. Hopefully a quick fix to swap the horn off my breaker, but knowing my luck.
2) Fan Motor not working. Wondered if it was the issue with the ignition switch, so went to check if the heated rear window was working :? . Where is the heated rear window switch?????? Must be going blind, as can see everything else, but that switch.

Any pointers/advice would be great as always. If only just to tell how I turn the heated rear window on. :lol:

Thanks again

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Dave :D Fingers crossed the mystical unscrewing union is now a thing of the past...

Horns can die from a bump and also, they get covered in crud where they are. Check the connector as a lot of current flows....

The heated rear screen switch is on the end of the wiper stalk, where you'd find a horn push on the opposite side on a MK1. 'Tis is silly pace to put it, just as the horn is on a MKII....

There is a relay that operates the blower down in the driver's footwell. Search out a long and detailed thread by David Hallworth who had exactly the same problem on his HDi. It turned out to be a feed to the relay...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Hopefully you fixed it, but on your first drive keep checking it, it went after 40 mins driving on 3 occassions, seemed fine at the start of the journey and idling.

Needs a replacement fan, I have the dead one here.
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citrov6 wrote: Needs a replacement fan, I have the dead one here.
Rez,

Where is the fan motor located?? Any idea if the one out of my series 1 2.1TD will fit. (It also has air con)

Cheers

- Dave -
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes Dave..

The S1 with Air Con motor WILL work..

Its under the dash, Passenger side... pull out the carpet trim on the underside of the dash and over to the left is the motor.. it has 3 screws holding it up...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

I must be doing something wrong???

1) Blower motor swapped and now all working, 10 min fix :D

2) Horn not working??

Firstly what an absolutley stupid place to site something. Luckily my garage has an incline to get in so parked the front wheels at the top so could gain access relatively easily.

Spent an age trying to remove the connections, but they finally gave in. Tested for voltage and nothing showing. So then thought I'd test the horn with a direct feed off the battery. Nothing, not even any voltage showing ??????

Only then realised that the connections to my volt meter were not fully home. :oops:

Checked the connections to the horn again, and both are showing 12V all the time, even with engine off ???????

I was assuming that the 12V only went to the horn, when the button was pushed.

Over to you.......

Thanks again

- Dave -
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

S2 cars work differently i think. When press the horn on the air bag you sbould clearly hear a relay clicking when u do... U dont get.that on S1 cars... However having 12v there should work the.horn....

Strange one this...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Any ideas where/which is the relay.

Wondered if its a combination of knackered horn, and stuck relay.

Thinking if I remove the relay, that should make the 12V feed stop. Then hopefully just a new relay and set of horns to fix.

Hoping to get the car to the MOT station in the week.

Cheers

- Dave -
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'll dig out a wiring diagram in a bit Dave... That'll show it in all it's detail...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Have you press the horn in the car and listened for a click??

Ive no idea where it is... the only problem I had on an S2 once was the multi switch behind the steering wheel that also carries the Air Bag signal and radio controls button signals..

Sorry Dave, I cant be more usefull.... just useless..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: Sorry Dave, I cant be more usefull.... just useless..
Paul :twisted: :twisted: Behave yourself and get a grip... You must have overdosed on Newport Pagnell air yesterday...

:lol:
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ah jim... Only managed to get home.. Today i have the most awfull stinkey cold in nose and head and feel absolutley crap!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Ah jim... Only managed to get home.. Today i have the most awfull stinkey cold in nose and head and feel absolutley crap!
Yep, that's our air for you, bloody awful stuff... Now you know why I seem to have a permanent cold :evil: :evil: :evil: The sooner I can retire and get out of this god-forsaken part of the UK the happier I'll be.

Hope you're better soon Paul

Otherwise we'll have to send this:

Dave, apologies for hijacking your thread like this....
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

Here's the horn circuits:

Horn Schematic Circuit

Horn Harness Diagram

Horn Locations Diagram

Sorry for the poor quality, MK2 diagrams are printed on recycled bogroll :twisted:

One potential troublespot is that the signal from the horn push in the steering wheel that operates the relay travels down the airbag/radio controls rotary coupling in the steering column.. They're not the most reliable of components...

I've also known a situation where in replacing a steering wheel, the operative has forgotten to reconnect the plug on the horn switch...

Hope that helps nail down this one Dave...
Jim