S2 Xantia V6 - Apologies in Advance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

S2 Xantia V6 - Apologies in Advance

Post by gadgetgricey »

Just become the proud owner of a V6, but aware it has a few issues which I'm hoping to sort our of the coming weeks (but knowing me months).

Therefore going to be watching Paul's V6 thread with interest, but probably going to need to ask a few stupid questions here if I cant find the answer elsewhere.

First one : Are the airbox's a standard fit. The engine runs but the airbox is missing. Now from the pictures I can see on the interweb, it looks just the same as the one that I have on my 2.1TD. Is it????

Second one. Does the V6 have a problem with engine mountings. The major problem tHat I'm aware of is that the return feed (under the airbox, hence why its missing) keeps unthreading and then empties all its fluid. Engine did seem to vibrate a lot more than normal when started up, but that could just be as the car has not been run for a while.
I've done it back up, and filled the car with LHM so brakes and steering etc have come back, but need to try and identify the route cause.
Any suggestions.

Thanks

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the world of V6 ownership Dave :D :D :D

No, the airbox is unique even though it looks like a TD one. The only similarity is that it takes the same element.

The box itself has two outlets, one big oval one and a smaller round one that goes to the idle control valve. Also, there's a hole under the idle valve air feed where the inlet air temperature sensor goes in. It';s on the end of a plug with two green wires going to it... have you got that sensor as if not the engine ECU will throw a fault. Do you have the rubber concertina from the throttle body that connects to the airbox? I've just had to replace mine on Old V6 as it split...

Yes, they do suffer engine mount problems. Look carefully at the driver's side mount for cracking in the donuts, both the big one on the mount itself and the smaller donut on the inner wing. Also, the lower engine mounting donut can fail badly from oil contamination.

Basically, the engine should run smoothly and not visibly move on it's mountings at all. I'm not aware of gearbox mount problems being common.

Now which bit exactly is unthreading? can you post a picture of it? Vibration must be dab if it's doing that. I wonder if it's a misfire causing it. Often misfire are coil related and this again will raise an ECU fault. Popping it on a Lexia would not be a bad idea.

Where are you located? There's lots of V6 knowledge on this forum :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: S2 Xantia V6 - Apologies in Advance

Post by xantia_v6 »

gadgetgricey wrote: First one : Are the airbox's a standard fit. The engine runs but the airbox is missing. Now from the pictures I can see on the interweb, it looks just the same as the one that I have on my 2.1TD. Is it????
The bottom part of the airbox is the same as the diesels, but I think the top is slightly different.
gadgetgricey wrote: Second one. Does the V6 have a problem with engine mountings.
The bottom mount can get damaged if the engine has had a prolonged oil leak, the top mount (2 donuts) does seem to fail fairly often, but damage should be readily visible.
gadgetgricey wrote: The major problem tHat I'm aware of is that the return feed (under the airbox, hence why its missing) keeps unthreading and then empties all its fluid.
Can you clarify? Which joint came apart?
gadgetgricey wrote: Engine did seem to vibrate a lot more than normal when started up, but that could just be as the car has not been run for a while.
the engine should not run rough, but check that the MAP sensor (back of manifold) and air temperature sensor (rear of top of airbox) are connected. Otherwise could be water or oil sitting in spark plug cavities shorting out the spark.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ah ha Dave! Youve just answered my Questions... NICE ONE!

Under the Air box, the only return I can think of is the PAS return pipe which I need to replace on mine..

It SHOULD be clippped with a hose clip and NOT just pushed on...

Looks nice, not my favorite colour though..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote: It SHOULD be clippped with a hose clip and NOT just pushed on...
Yes indeed as there's a high volume of LHM flowing in this pipe. It is the combined return for the regulator, hyperactive electrovalve and the power steering. The return flow from the power steering is much higher on the V6 compared to other Xantias due to the fitting of an external steering pressure regulator. The rubber pipe on the return line metal tee under the airbox is the return from the PAS pressure regulator.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, but just been down the garage to take them.....

Also took a short movie, and the engine did not appear to move at all :?

The marked connection on the photo was quite loose may have even been undone, but seemed to tighten up OK. May put a bit of tipex or something on it to see if it moves/unwinds itself.

Now just got to find an airbox and associated gubbins....

Then the blower/air con/locking wheel nuts/stereo :wink: .......

Cheers

- Dave -
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ah dave... **EDIT: Thats the regulator main feed (Thanks Xantia_v6 for pointing it out - im tired)

Wonder if its because of a flat sphere...

Yes, these V6 units are exteamilly smooth and hardley move at all..

Ive not heard of those undoing them selfs before.. there will be others that may know the cause...

You will be kept busy with her now. I was pleased to hear the TD has been boring and not gone wrong... Its pleasing to know.!

Ooooooo Dave, theres a Dip Stick there!!!! for the auto box fluid! Check the fluid, it should be a yellowie clear colour NOT RED... Its Not the useual Dex 2 red fluid... its a special Esso Fluid... Theres no filler hole, so a drain and refill comprises a drain from the normal drain plug, but refill through the dip stick hole..

Paul
Last edited by citroenxm on 10 Apr 2011, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

citroenxm wrote:Ah dave... Thats the Hydractive hydraulic block return pipe...

Paul
No, thats the high pressure feed pipe from the pump to the regulator! I know because I changed my regulator on Saturday (the return hose is on the offside of the regulator, and hidden behind the lower rad hose in the photo)
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 10 Apr 2011, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Oh jeeesus SO IT IS... :oops:

Doh stupid me... Well, that is unusual for that to unscrew itself.. Id say its pulsing from a FLAT accumilator sphere...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote:Id say its pulsing from a FLAT accumilator sphere...

Paul
Paul,

You've obviously forgotten you are talking to a total numpty regarding all things relating to Citroen Suspension.. :lol: :shock:

What/Where/How easy to fix replace....??? Is it the one right next to it at fault???

Cheers

- Dave -
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Below that pipe is a Green Sphere...

That may need replacing.. You can check if its "Flat" or not quite easilly.

Start the car to pressure the system up then stop the engine, leave the ignition on, then straight away put the suspension on HIGH in the car... if theres anything left in the "Accumilator" sphere as its know, the car will go up slightly... The more Gas in the sphere the more it will go up... If it doesn;t move AT ALL then its flat and needs changing...

The other way, start the car and put her on TOP setting. As the car reaches top height if the regualtor clicks feuqently then that also says its flat..

By frequently its a constant click.... fast...

PAul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Just had a thought, what year is the car???

Later regualtors deleated the seal, and instead they use a conical spacer under the end of the pipe... just wondered if the pipe has poped out if the spacer has gone AWOL...

Ive got a couple of them lieing around... its hard to see if its in there or not.. Does it leak when the union is tightend up???? Also, when the union is tight, its the pipe tight too, or does it still move slightly???

PAul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

citroenxm wrote:Just had a thought, what year is the car???

PAul
Its an "S" reg, having really checked the fitting that closely regarding leaks etc, but will investigate tomorrow.

Also the test re the sphere.

Thanks again

- Dave -

Additional: Previous owner Rez just contacted me regarding the pipe.
citrov6 wrote:tried changing that, the pipe unscrewed itself after 40 mins driving, it was fine idling, and it is a conical spacer that the pipe has
I'll do the tests re the sphere later, and report back.

Thanks

- Dave -
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

an s reg.....

puts it nicely in the mk2 bracket (mk2's are best) buuuuuuut as has been pointed out it has a dipstick for the autobox which i'm led to believe is a mk1 fitment......

(i say this because mine (t reg) also has a dipstick and i was told the same.....)

enjoy them, i have a love/hate relationship with my v6. the hate part comes in at the fuel pump, everywhere else is loooove.

(before Jim comes in to tell me off the fuel economy is actually very good for what it is, 32mpg i just got on the last tank. I'm just used to my HDi's fuel economy)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ahhh you beat me to it Chris...

Mines a Mk.1 on a P plate... Yes a P... and when I bought her home I recoreded an amzing 33mpg.. but that was light driving at a constant speed. When I was useing her around here it dropped to around 25mpg..

I completely agree... all F F F F FUN and smiles, except the fuel..

I love the fact they look soooo standard to the "Ordinary" people, and when the Fraud drivers or the Proxhall drivers try and pass - you just... Blow them away!!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto