Rear brake lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiasmiff
My Cars:

Rear brake lights

Post by xantiasmiff »

Just home from work, reversed into driveway and only high-level brake light is working. Replaced bulbs on both sides but still no luck. Would A Dodgy brake switch cause this. Any ideas please?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If the high level one is still working properly, its highly unlikely to be the switch.

Although quite rare, is it possible you have faulty new bulbs or the wrong type (single vs double filament, not sure what you should have)

Do the other rear lights work OK ?, that would rule out an earthing issue. The actual feed will come from one side to the central light so its difficult to see how you could lose both but not the central one.

Carefully look at the wiring where you can without too much dismantling around the rear lights, if you have a test light / multimeter check to see if the signal is reaching the circuit board / plug for each rear light unit.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur with Andy, if the other lights work the supply must have failed but as its at the high level light the fault has to be between there and the main lamps.

You dont say what car it is, but if its a hatch back or estate the wiring could have failed where it goes from the body to the tailgate, if the main lamps are on the tailgate.

Peter
xantiasmiff
My Cars:

Post by xantiasmiff »

Sorry, the car is a Xantia Hdi hatchback. All the other lights are working. According to the BOL its covered by same fuse as air con, reversing lights and instrument lights and all these are functioning ok. Just thought it strange (even for a Xantia ) for both brake lights to fail at the same time. Thanks for your replies.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as said above if you centre lamp is working it wont be a fuse or your brake like switch, as the high level lamp is fed via the same as the side brake lights,

check all possabilatys at the rear light units and there plugs, and the tyrpe of bulb you are fitting,

regards malcolm
xantiasmiff
My Cars:

Post by xantiasmiff »

Appologies to everyone. I have had a Homer Simpson episode. I was looking at the tailgate bulbs , then it dawned on me this morning that the stop and tail light bulbs are located on the rear wings inside the boot!!DOH!! Thanks to all with suggestions. Just going to lie down in a dark corner for a half hour or so. : :lol:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't worry, we have all done it :? I once took my stop lamp switch apart only to find that both bulbs had gone!

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The tail lights take the same bulb as the brake lights, the brake filiment just isn't ever activated, so you can do a quick swap if it's just the brake filiment that's, er, broken...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool