What a damm waste of time!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

What a damm waste of time!!!!

Post by citroenxm »

Hi all..

CAR: 2000 X Xantia HDI 110bhp with NO Turbo Boost

Wasted an afternoon today.. After discovering that HDi 110bhp turbo Units in Xantias Can be removed with the engine in situ, it involes a hell of a lot more then an XUD turbo removal...

The HDi engine needs to be mooved forward and lifted up, then befor that, bottom rear engine mount AND drive shaft needs to come off/out

Then once the turbo is off the studs, you then NEED to split the turbo from the manifold - there simply is NOT enough room, split the two by 4 11mm nuts, then the two parts drop out.... :shock: :o

So after all that, I decided to fit a KNOWN working turbo off an engine I had, confidantly fittied it back in the same way, put the turbo up the back, then the manifold in the top and bolt them back together, then atach it back to the rear of the head... I then ALSO connected the exhaust back up, the EGR, and intercooler pipes.

Started the car and oh NO a manifold leak somewhere, and guess what.. STILL no Turbo BOOST!!! NOT pleased....

The turbo I put on IS a working one.. (I still need to organise the other one I asked about)

So would a leaky manifold between the head or a leak in the turbo exhaust side cause it to not boost properly?????

Thanks for reading... hope you can answer too.. lol

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

is the turbo spooling up?
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A taste of the joys I have to come?

Peter
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Not really Peter - HDi Turbos are fairly reliable!! Ive not heard of another failiure YET..

Besides, the 406 may have better access, or room at the back of the engine bay..

CitroV6.. The turbo did and was working perfectly when it was in the car it was in...

I didn't get back under to find out if it was spooling up.. I took the intercooler pipe off to check for out boost... but very little to nothing..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Its very rarely a turbo issue, it has to be a boost control or fueling issue.
If the compressor spins by hand then it will boost, it would have to be a fair size leak to loose all the boost too.

Check for a blocked cat or exhaust in general, sort out the induction leaks and make sure the wastegate is closing properly and tthat the actuator works (test with compressed air and make a note of the pressure it opens at). Also check its fueling correctly i guess.

Hope its something simple Paul............

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Dean has more or less said what I'm about to but thought I'd add my waffle! When the 'boost fuel' diaghram failed on my Lucas BX, it felt like I had no turbo at all. This is prob done by a pressure sensor switch on an HDi so check elec connections and pressure feed pipe.

The fuelling side will be controlled by a solenoid valve within the pump I expect.

Another experience felt on Audi was a failed CAT,(again what Dean was saying) the thing wouldn't breathe, hardly go above 2500 rpm.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

It revs perfectly fibe and smoothly right up to 5k red line..... The only thing thats electronically controlled on the turbo is the waste gate vaccumm.... Other then that the exhaust fuemes drive it.... Just wondering if it is the fume leak thats causing it... The engine does run now with the exhaust on and egr valve bolted down.... It wouldnt with the other turbo on... So thats one step i guess.... I wonder if the electro valve is faulty and holding the wastegate open..... Worth dropping the vac pipe off i guess....

Cheers
paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

It wont hold the wastegate open untill it gets boost to the wastegate, make sure the wastegate snaps shut though, have you road tested the car under load to see if there is any boost yet, with a boost guage or similar fitted? if the car would not run before then you have fixed something, is the old turbo seized up Paul?
the boost leak may well drop power if its big enough but i would still guess at fueling, thhere may be enough there to make it rev but not enough to give it the full beans under load and give enough exhaust gas flow to get the turbo spooling.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

On all the hdi 110 models simply revving the cars produces enough boost to swell in inlet pipes and when disconnected blow a gale..... My v plate does, mums t and y reg ones do too.... The wastegate vac pipe is connected directly to a vac controlling electro valve. If this is faulty it may be holding it open by applying a vac to open it.... The waste gate is mechanically fine. It has a nice strong shut feel to it... So at rest its deffo not open.... Cheers dean... Much appriciated...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Oh year forgot we are talking derv here, yes they do blow like a hairdryer at just above idle, well other than disconnecting the vac pipe i think its also worth checking the oil feed to the turbo, has the inline filter blocked if the other one seized, i would think its got one they always did have.
Im sure you will have it sussed by today, so long as that compressor wheel spins nicely i cant see the problem is i big one

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

On the 110 when the wasegate gets vaccum applied it boosts.
Simple check,take the 2 rubber pipes off the turbo electrovalve & bridge them together with a small piece of brake pipe or similar & take it for a drive & it should be running at max boost all the time, eventually this will put it into limp mode as the ECU detects overboost but it's ok for test purpouses.
If it doesent boost when you do this then the most likely causes are faulty electrovalve (you could try using the one off the EGR valve to test as they are the same, just block the EGR vac pipes) or blocked or split vaccum pipes going to & from the electrovalves. It wouldnt be unknown for these pipes to get blocked up by carbon type deposits & cause lack of vaccum supply to the electrovlaves & wastegate. Blowing through with compressed air usually clears.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Wont be on it now this weekend... Oil feed is fine.. I cleaned that up and made sure it was clear.... The other turbo hasnt siezed.. Its not as free as this one but it turns... Someone has been playing with the wastegate though....

Cheers dean

paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto