Rear Suspension Problem ? - C5 2.0 HDI LX Reg:02

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

g_feb
My Cars:

Rear Suspension Problem ? - C5 2.0 HDI LX Reg:02

Post by g_feb »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help.
As I am new to Citroen C5, my query is when I turn off my car, its rear suspension goes down as its on lower suspension mode and comes back to normal position when I turn the ignition on (even before car starts).I have noticed that there is a little leakage as well on the left rear suspension underneath my car. Is this normal with Citroen C5's or is something wrong here?

Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Definitely something amiss there.
The 'sitting down' is a fault - if it is an estate that you have then it could be related to the ability to raise and lower the tail end with ignition off and tailgate open.

The leak could well be a split strut gaiter or return hose displaced.
g_feb
My Cars:

Citroen C5 2.o HDI LX Hatchback Reg: 02

Post by g_feb »

Hi Dear,
Thanks for the reply back. Its a hatchback. The car comes back to position after the ignition is on. Do you think this is because of the spillage?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

How quickly does the rear end go down - if it is reasonably fast I suspect a stuck or failed electrovalve allowing fluid back to the reservoir, as it isn't an estate I wouldn't expect it to be confused electrical signals.

If it is rather more slowly - an hour or two, then it is more likely that the seals in one of the rear hydraulic rams is leaking and fluid is again returning to the reservoir.

The rams are designed to leak - but not much.
The gaiters collect the leakage and there are return pipes to pass it back to the reservoir.
The return pipes can become dislodged or split and also the gaiter can split or tear.

Seals are available for the rams and are fairly inexpensive. Someone on here replaced a set of seals not too long ago.
Gaiters are also quite cheap - i had one fitted a few years ago, it was £13
g_feb
My Cars:

C5 Suspension Problem HDI LX 2.0L Reg:02

Post by g_feb »

The suspension starts coming back to the normal position after I unlock the door as a motor like noise comes from front and then in a minute the suspension comes back to normal. I have noticed that the suspension stays in normal position for about 30-40 minutes after I lock the car and then slowly starts going down and roughly within another 30-40 minutes goes back to down position.
Like I said earlier that there is some spillage noticed on the left rear suspension. Do you think this is all happening because of one side's suspension spillage as the right rear suspension looks fine?
Citroen C5 2.0L HDI LX Reg:02 Hatchback
76,660 Miles
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Suspension Problem HDI LX 2.0L Reg:02

Post by myglaren »

g_feb wrote:The suspension starts coming back to the normal position after I unlock the door as a motor like noise comes from front and then in a minute the suspension comes back to normal.
That is entirely normal for the C5 - suspension pump activates as the doors are unlocked.
You will usually find that the pump runs briefly as you get into the car and your weight alters the suspension height - this may not be noticeable currently due to the time taken to achieve the correct height.
I have noticed that the suspension stays in normal position for about 30-40 minutes after I lock the car and then slowly starts going down and roughly within another 30-40 minutes goes back to down position.
Like I said earlier that there is some spillage noticed on the left rear suspension. Do you think this is all happening because of one side's suspension spillage as the right rear suspension looks fine?
Very difficult to say without a physical examination.

First thing would be to establish where the leak responsible for LDS on the floor is and fix that.
Next I would pull the return lines from the gaiter - be sure to clean everything meticulously first and plug the open holes, lead the pipes into clean glass or plastic bottles and leave overnight, see which side, if any, has fluid in it indicating a leaking ram.
If none then you can assume that an electrovalve sticking is the likely culprit.

Unfortunately - and someone leap in if this is incorrect - I believe that the electrovalves live in the cludge* under the pump with the suspension ECU and isn't the easiest thing to deal with on a C5.

I think that you can test them with a Lexia though - experimentally open and close them at least.
A Lexia is needed to fully de-pressurise the system before dismantling can proceed anyway.

Hopefully it will be the ram seals - a much simpler affair.

*technical term for things we barely understand and hope we never have to deal with.