Xantia-front strut top replacement in the sunshine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Xantia-front strut top replacement in the sunshine

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes its the outdoor life for me on a beautiful day like today.

The perfect day for doing the strut top to satisfy the MOT man. He was spot on though lots of corrosion and crinkly metal/rubber bits giving the impression that the strut mounting area was badly corroded. It isn't, its just the strut top assembly much featured in the "speared Xantia" posts on the forum.

I had a newish one from my previous car, if I can recall they are over £100 to order from a citroen dealer.

I have done the job before, so I just set too, and got on with it with no consultation with the good book. Its done now, but I have made the most of the sunshine and been at it most of the day. The main time consumers were:-

1 I had to repair my trolley jack before I even started
2. The sphere wouldnt unscrew by hand, and my homemade tool based on an axlestand and a P shaped threaded rod was too big so I had to improvise and use the threaded rod poking back through two holes in my multi-hole bike spanner.
3 The drop link, its rusty threads, and the 5mm allen key arrangement to hold the pin while unscrewing the nut, took ages to dismantle.
4 Attempting to fit the top of the gaiter to the top of the strut took immense patience and a lot of time.
5 I managed to pull the driveshaft out of the diff slightly, and out poured a fair quantity of gearbox oil in a nice slick under the car.

In the end I have a heady cocktail of gearbox oil and LHM which seems to have penetrated every last piece of my clothing.

If I ever have to do it again I would have a new drop link ready to go in and at the first hint of stubbornness getting the nuts off, out would come the hacksaw-job done :)

Neil
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Neil...

KEEP the old strut top! Either send to me, or IF you goto a Citroen Rally hand it to me.. we are trying to collect up a handfull of old tops for re furbishment..

Good work.. I spent the afternoon under a HDi Xantia to NO BENIFIT!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto