zx volcane 16v conversion with mi16

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tecw1979
My Cars:

zx volcane 16v conversion with mi16

Post by tecw1979 »

hi, ive put my 160bhp mi16 engine into a 205 1.9gti a 309 1.9gti and now a zx volcane. all cars have same 1.9 8v engine.
however the loom is slightly different on the zx. there is a round multi plug fixed to the passenger wing under the fuse box. am i right in assuming this has the same function as the two rectangular plugs on the mi16 loom?these r found under the dash in the pugs. also i think this engine actually started out in a bx 16v. but did that have the round plugs? the engine fits fine with the normal mods to the downpipe and bulkhead to make space for 8branch manifold. can any1 who has done anything similar pls help? i can provide pics of the looms and id rather u help than i have to go to a distant scrappy for my info!! thanx alot.btw r the rear axles the same as my 309gti has a very low axle setup (this cost me to have done!) and as a result handled much better at silly speeds!
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

hey comeon guys... those who r reading this... y did u read it...leave yr comments pls however miner... i have three days till project ideally needs to b finished... thanx
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

try the Peug forum -
You need info on the connections refererred to - which means access to schematics covering the exact model/year/type of both cars involved.
Only by coincidence you may expect other owners being thru such an experience.
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

ok i now know there r two looms... on for the ecu and control senders, the other for guages and senseror.but on the zx they r combined!ill try wiring without sensor loom and c what happens...
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

There's a guy on the BX 16V forum who runs a ZX fitted with an ex-BX engine.
We've just moved forums so don't think he's registered yet! Check www.bx16v.com and follow 'interactions' and 'forum'.
I'll check the old forum and see if I can see a post and try and put you in touch.
From memory there's not much to change [:D]
Adrian
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

ok left messages in bx forum... i have a haynes for the 405 now and the rest of my 309 loom... this is goingt to get hard soon if the guy who knows dont pipe up!!! sum1 help me! im in herts and if u have dne this conversion ill pay for yr time to wire mine up!!! damn it i need to chew the road up!
thatorangething

Post by thatorangething »

Hi! Sorry i have been a bit slow - very busy! ZX wiring. on our car, we fitted all the guage & warning light sensors from the volcane engine to the BX unit. That upgrades all the plugs. You have to unpick all the feeds from the loom, but that means you get standard reliable wiring to the sensors. Lay all the spare stuff to one side by the N/S chassis leg. Use the ZX's own alternator and feeds, and it's own starter motor feeds. You will need the ECU and its loom from the BX 16V. Remove the ZX ECU and put the multi-connector and wiring to one side, remove the injection relay on the battery box and lay to one side. Fit the ECU in the ZX mount. Run the fuel pump feed straight through the bulkhead and under the carpet straight to the pump. The BX ECU loom will lay cable tied round the back of the engine bay and along the O/S inner wing. You will find that it meets up with the engine plugs at the right place, then travels across the front of the car to meet up with everything else, ancluding the permanent live connection under the relay box! Use the BX ignition engine bay loom for the coil and module etc, find the ignition controlled live from the ZX's old system to drive it all. The great thing about doing the installation this way, is that the new engine operates almost as a seperate entity to the rest of the car's systems, with very little splicing. Once you have established that the ZX stuff is working, and that the BX engine management is OK, then you need to find the rev counter feed in the spare wiring (!), and then hook it up to the BX engine. Tie back and carefully insulate all the spare stuff left over, get some good road test miles under the cars belt, and then set about disposing of the ECU plug and all the engine/ injection relay feeds. Hope this helps! Our car also runs the BX gearbox, with 6 x 15" steel wheels from a 306, on 195/50 x 15 tyres. I think the car needs the bigger rims, and the gearbox to suit, but it's not vital. I am looking to do another hybrid BX/Xantia close ratio gearbox for our car at some point , and some 283mm front discs and callipers from a GTi-6. email me if you need help.
Regards
Peter
thatorangething

Post by thatorangething »

Hi again, small correction to previous post,- fit BX ecu in ZX mount, just to be clear. Our ZX, along with our race Capri and Integrale, will all be active at Goodwood for 'A Good Cause at Goodwood' on Tuesday. Get yer wad out for charity, and come down for a ride! Should be a great day.
Regards
Peter
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Hi Peter
Hope my e-mail got through to you and thanks for replying!
Have you registered with the new 16V forum? Think you'll like the improvements!
Would it be OK with you if I copy and paste your explanation to the BX forum for those that are interested?
Cheers
Adrian [:D]
tecw1979
My Cars:

Post by tecw1979 »

still having probs damn it. need to know...
what pins take +ive, +switched +ive and earth on bx ecu.
also color of fuel feed into the car to the pump.