testing thermostat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eurotrotter

testing thermostat

Post by eurotrotter »

hi lads took out my thermostat and tested it, but it didnt pop at any temperature, really not sure what t story is, cos i bought a new thermostat, with 83degrees written on it, and it actually caused the car to rise in temperature more than the old thermostat!

here is the vid of me testing ht eold thermostat:

here's me replacing the thermostat:

any advice as to what is going on would be great

thanks

ed
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Did you put it in the right way around? :P

Thermostats need to be tested with a double boiler. They open slowly, and you need something like a lab thermometer or infra-red pyrometer to gauge the temperature. Note what temp it starts to open slightly, and the temp at which it is fully open.

Without discarding the test water or boiler water, immediately turn off the heat. Note what temperature it starts to close, and what temperature it is fully shut.
eurotrotter

Post by eurotrotter »

hi addo,

i thought iwas a simple case of dropping it in hot water and ud see it pop, pity it aint that easy :(

i did put it in the right way around defintely, but the new one didnt work, weird!

i was thinking of just leaving it out altogether, i mean the summer is here and we nearly have 15 degrees, that might tell me if the thermostat is actually working or not then at least?!
what you tink of this plan, snice i dont have the testing equipment to the test the thermostat
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No, testing does require a degree of finesse. Buy a "candy thermometer" from the supermarket - should be just a couple of Euro. Boil a pot of water (say, a medium saucepan), and inside that you have a small stainless basin (again, just a couple of Euro) with water and the thermostat.

This inner basin needs to slightly float inside the big pot - it can't touch the bottom. Similarly when reading temps, your thermometer tip mustn't be in contact with anything other than the water and your thermostat.

Once you've verified the thermostat (I check all new ones, easier to waste fifteen minutes here than forty-five later) you have a thermometer to terrorise friends with...
eurotrotter

Post by eurotrotter »

hi addo,

i thought iwas a simple case of dropping it in hot water and ud see it pop, pity it aint that easy :(

i did put it in the right way around defintely, but the new one didnt work, weird!

i was thinking of just leaving it out altogether, i mean the summer is here and we nearly have 15 degrees, that might tell me if the thermostat is actually working or not then at least?!
what you tink of this plan, snice i dont have the testing equipment to the test the thermostat
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Surely you can find ten Euro to make a fist of testing it?

The thermostat is like a violin; it's about finesse and control. It doesn't suddenly go "SPROINNG! :shock: " and pop open when you drop it into water at 83°C.

I would install it. If you leave it out now and forget the first cold night... :?