Xantia strut hydraulic return pipe - can be improvized?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Xantia strut hydraulic return pipe - can be improvized?

Post by atr »

Hi
I've noticed hydraulic fluid leakage from the left side strut. I've jacked the vehicle and cleand well the strut area and found that the leak is from the hydraulic return pipe. the problem is that its friday noon now and the shops are already closed for the weekend. did anybody found a way to improvize such a pipe? is it possible to push a smaller diameter plastic pipe into the rubber pipe so that the fluid will flow through it? the leak is from the point that the pipe changes its diameter. one more question, the metal clamp that holds it can be replaced by an ordinary metal clamp, like the one that is used for water hoses? let me point that I need the improvizing only for two day, I dont intend to leave it for long time.
Thanx.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its leaking where it joins the metal pipe, just cut the end off and re fit, its usually just the stretched part that perishes where its pushed over the metal.

Peter
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

No, its not leaking from the point that the rubber pad touches the strut. on the top of the pad there is a small pipe with a sort of a larger rubber ring on the end of it. the leak is from the point of connection between the small pie and the "ring".
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right, that end is moulded all in one piece but you could as you suggest try cutting it off and inserting a length of plastic tube. Its usually the inboard ends that leaks.

Peter
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

silicon tape from b&q seals a leak quite well, held mine together for 3000 miles while I waited for the replacement pipe
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!