synergie camber

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave2011

synergie camber

Post by dave2011 »

hi guys.ive got a p reg synergie that some of you might remember me changing the drivers side coil spring on few weeks back n ive had no issues with that job........til yesterday :x id been out in it and just happened to park the car up with the wheels kicked out at full lock n noticed that the tyre was shaved off down to the wire on the inside :x :x :x :x i marked up the upper strut bearing so it went in the same way it came out so the camber was right n now im getting the symptoms the camber is wrong.the only thing i did,nt do was get it tracked up as i took the car for a drive n it drove fine so i did,nt think it was needed. :roll: is there any way to adjust the camber or is it just the tracking out as the other side dont do it.i dont know how long the spring was broke so if it is the tracking thats wrong maybe the bust spring made the tracking right n now its been changed the tracking is wrong........ :? any ideas guys? 8-)
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Camber and castor on most modern cars are set by the design of the suspension components and non-adjustable, unless you pay alot of money for your vehicle, ie Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.

You have answered your own query concerning the scrubbed tyre, in that you did not bother to get the tracking checked on the car, once you had done the repairs. It is advisable, even if you strip down and re-assemble the same suspension components, to ALWAYS get the tracking (wheel alignment) checked and if it is out, re-adjusted. :roll:

I'm amazed you managed to let the tyre scrub down to the metal wires in the casing. :shock: How often do you look at the tyres on your car or check the tyre pressures? :shock:

H
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

i check the tyre pressure every week and check the tyres regularly n plus the fact that the tyres where checked very recently as the car has just been put though the mot so the tyre has done this recently........ :lol:daft thing is the tread is very very legal but shaved down on the inner edge........thats why it was missed. :P
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Bare in mind that all these flamin' speed humps aren't helping either, especially if you straddle them.
Honest John in the Telegraph is always ranting about this tyre wear problem, and recommends one wheel over the hump and t'other on the flat.
Just a thought and bit of non technical input. :wink:
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

well thats sumit i did,nt know about cj lol. :shock: and there is plenty of wide speed humps where i live n i usualy just go straight over em so i the hump goes under the car so i dont even feel em. :lol:
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

dave2011 wrote:well thats sumit i did,nt know about cj lol. :shock: and there is plenty of wide speed humps where i live n i usualy just go straight over em so i the hump goes under the car so i dont even feel em. :lol:
I think most folk do tbh, me included in the past.
Exactly the same thing happened to me on my Fabia.
Crazy thing is that even though I'd been quickly checking the tread every month or so, they looked fine and legal.
Little did I know just how badly worn the inner edges were until a very narrow strip of rubber came flying off and wrapped itseld around the the track control arm, revealing the ragged and sharp remains of the inner wiring.:shock:
I'd foolishly just assumed that because the easy to see face of the tyre was fine and dandy, the rest must be too. Wrong. :roll:

I was doing the legal limit on the mptptway when this happened btw.
Needless to say, I rarely straddle speeed humps now (sometimes you've got to) and I check the inner walls on all 4 tyres every month for signs of unusual deteriation.

Oh, and btw. I had a very expensive 4 wheel laser alignment check done at my main stealer after the incident (£85 iirc :shock: ) as I was convinced the tracking must have been way out.
The check revealed it was out, but by only a very small margin.

It was only a few weeks later that I read H.J.'s rantings about straddling speed humps in his Saturday Telegraph advice Q&A column following a similar story from a reader.
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

ive well and truely learnt by my mistake this time n im gunna check the tyres inside n out more often.all replaced now n tracked up so lets see if its cured it. :wink: