charging light!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

charging light!

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi been getting the charging light not going out from strating unless rev abit other day it didnt go out for while at all so restarted it then went out.

would that be alternator or relay problems? many thanks
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Probably the alternator failing, check the belt for tightness though. Check the battery voltage after first starting, it should soon rise to 14+ volts, if it doesn't - alternator.

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Also check the LHM pump for leaks as it normally dribbles onto the alternator killing it
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Yep my LHM pump does leak abit well done for a while now.
love the places they leave bits on these cars almost as bad as italian cars ie maserati bi turbo the fuse box is right at back so when you open bonnet if wet it runs sploosh straight into it?. and fuse box if you can call it that is a mix of all the types of fuses and looks like they all wired there bits up and got to box and thought ah just put wire here and what fuses have i in my pocket so atleast not as bad as them?.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You can't tar all pasta-burners with the same brush. :lol:

My Alfa 147 is "the reliable car" for when the Peugeots and Citroëns all throw hissy fits.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

dieseldoggy wrote:Yep my LHM pump does leak abit well done for a while now.
love the places they leave bits on these cars almost as bad as italian cars ie maserati bi turbo the fuse box is right at back so when you open bonnet if wet it runs sploosh straight into it?. and fuse box if you can call it that is a mix of all the types of fuses and looks like they all wired there bits up and got to box and thought ah just put wire here and what fuses have i in my pocket so atleast not as bad as them?.
Do a search on leaky lhm pumps, there are plenty with the photos of which o-rings to replace, most likley the two 17mm hexes are leaking, the one with the suspension/brakes pipe coming out of it, and the blank one just around the pump, they're pennies so worth carefully replacing both.
Also, the large o-ring between the piston body and the bell end may need replacing, get at the bolts through the pulley, don't extract the bolts though.
The torx ones around the pump rarely leak.

What's the voltage at your battery when the engine is running? Should be 14v
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi will check battery when next use car?. then have a nosey at pump when have time and see whats a miss?.ekkk.
If i steam clean alternator ish ie clean s**t out of it will it work any better or will it still need to go on a cruise to china instead?. :D
xantia 19td estate 96-7