Clutch Slip -Result !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fifth_cit
My Cars:

Clutch Slip -Result !

Post by fifth_cit »

A few weeks ago I posted that I had problems with the clutch slipping in my C5 Tourer but had not been able to recreate the problem. Last week however it slipped again whilst accelerating up hill in sixth to get up to motorway speed (1500 to 2000 revs, peak torque).

I went to see the dealer who at first said that Citroen only offered a 6 month / 6000 mile warranty on clutches and as mine had 25,0000 miles my claim was unlikely to succeed.

I asked him about the main engine seal and that I had seen on the internet that Citroen where having problems with them leaking and contaminating the clutch and eventually we agreed that the car needed to be stripped down to see the problem. I had to agree to funding the job if a fault was not found (had to have a new clutch come what may).

To cut a long story short my car has now got a new main engine seal and a new clutch under warranty - a good result as far as I am concerned.
C5 III Tourer 2.0HDi SX
Previous Citroens:-
05 C5 Facelift VTR 2.0Hdi
03 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
51 C5 LX 2.0Hdi
96 Xantia LX TD
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Good to hear its been done under warranty.

Sounds like the rear main seal had decided to leak a bit and contaminate the clutch.

To be fair, a wear and tear item such as a clutch, possibly brakes / tyres do have a short warranty as such as its not always possible to determine if abuse has caused failure. In your case the oil seal did so it was relatively clear cut. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

A good result indeed, it's nice to see what negotiations do when trying to sort something...

However, surely they shouldn't leak in the first place? If there's a known problem, then they should make provisions to include a main seal in the clutch change, the first of which shouldn't cost a penny!
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

the clutch on my C5 saloon is also slipping but I am having problems convincing the dealer about the oil seal. The problem is intermittent and what makes matters worse is that dealer says they cannot recreate the issue.

still ongoing saga...