Advice Sought RE: Downloading AL4 Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Advice Sought RE: Downloading AL4 Update

Post by addo »

Xsara II with EW10J4

In the download files list there is one to install when the electrovalves are swapped.

Do I need any security codes to implement the download? How long does it take, typically?

Will be making sure the car battery is charged, also that laptop battery is good and I'll even have the portable generator handy for continuity of power...

Thanks, Adam.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I managed to successfully get an update downloaded onto my V6 (now Jim's) whereas every other time I've attempted it on other cars its failed and that's using a genuine Citroen Lexia.

One thing to bear in mind is that I recently had an interesting conversation with a technician at Citroens Slough HQ on this very subject, his opinion was to avoid downloading unless absolutely necessary as it comes with the serious risk of messing up the ECU to the extent that a new one may be required should it go wrong,,,,,,,

As far as the procedure it was simply follow the idiot proof instructions, IIRC it took no more than 10 minutes and no codes required.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Pretty much agree with what Dickie G said. There is alwaya a risk when downloading any ECU (even with a genuine lexia). Although ECU crashes are quite rare if your careful enough it should only be done if necessary, in this case i'd say its necessary as the new gearbox electrovalves are pretty pointless without the right software for them.
Its a good idea to either have a good battery charger on the car or another car with jump leads & the engine running. Lexia will tell you that anyway in the warning screens.
Just make sure that no one trips over the lexia lead while its downloading :twisted:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Thank you both; will observe all recommendations. I'm starting to like Xsaras - it's amazing how many niggles you can squeeze into one small car. (This being the fourth problematic facelift Xsara...)
wheeler wrote:Just make sure that no one trips over the lexia lead while its downloading :twisted:
That would be an expensive trip! I'm still smarting from a contingent liability claim that will top £8500 and doesn't meet insurance criteria. :x
lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Post by lancia58 »

Hi Addo

I have a Xantia and a Lexia 3 can you please let me know where these download files can be found ? Are these files part of the Lexia 3 software ?

Thanks
Zohar