Xantia HDi 90 front brake discs and pads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mdon

Xantia HDi 90 front brake discs and pads

Post by Mdon »

Hi All,

My xantia has developed a rather nasty shudder when braking at high speed, generally over 50mph which is wierd as the last time I had warped discs they shuddered at all speeds? however I can't think of anything else that would cause this so I'm going to replace the discs and pads.

my question is 1. does anyone know anywhere cheap and decent off the internet where I can order a pair of front discs and pads as my local motor factor is extortonate! over £100 for a pair of basic discs alone!

2. how much of a job is it? as it's been years since I last replaced discs and pads.

Also I found out to my suprise last week that my car doesn't have abs? it's a 2000 X reg so I asume it has abs and just has a fault but the last owner has removed the abs bulb from the dash. it passed it's last MOT so obviously all wheels are braking and when I did an emergency stop it stopped straight and true but the front wheels locked up and left two lovely long tyre tracks along the road. any suggestion as to what this may be?

cheers.

Mike.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

GSF look like they have two types for the 90Hdi, £21.50 or £33.25 each (exc VAT)

Assuming they're similar to the 1.9TD estate brakes:
You'll need a strong T55 bit to get the calipers off to remove the discs, so plenty of plus gas will help.
The discs are held onto the hub by two counter sunk torx screws (T25 I think) and normally they're rusted in place, so either an impact driver or drill them out.

Slacken the wheel nuts, car up on high, axle stands on the front jacking points, car on low, wheels off, disconnect the handbrake cable from the caliper (pair of grips to turn the hand brake arm and a pair of pliers to disengage the end of the cable) and manouver the end of the cable out of the way.
Remove the R clip which holds the caliper pin in place, drift out the pin, swing up the front of the caliper and extract the old pads (you may have to try and rotate the piston to be able to swing up the font of the caliper)
Some people open the bleed nipple. Use the remains of the old pads/proper tool/ flat screwdriver/bar to wind the piston back clockwise.
Remove the two T55 bolts on the back of the caliper.
Remove old discs, fit new ones, refit caliper, fit new pads, if you like fit the wear sensors but route the leads carefully as they easily get nipped and give a false reading or just get shredded.
Swing the front of the caliper down, drift retaining pin back in place, refit R clip, refit wheels, car on high, axle stands out the way, make a brew.

As for the ABS, as soon as you remove the wheels you should be able to tell if you have it by the toothed ring and ABS sensor that should be visible.
Presuming you do, then it's time to work out which sensor is duff (and time to replace that bulb!)
Easiest way is visiting someone with a Lexia, otherwise there's a post on here with details of which pins on the ABS connector to check with an ohmmeter.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool