Auto Lights and Auto Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pcollins

Auto Lights and Auto Wipers

Post by pcollins »

Hi All.

I have a Citroen C5 which has auto lights and auto wipers.

I will start with th auot lights first. If i turn this on per the hadn book i get confirmation it's on via the display but the light never come on.

The auto wipers when the stalk is plced into the auto postion i get northng on the display and the wipers work just like intermitten wipers.

Does anybody ahve any ideas what could be casuing this and where i should start ot look.

Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Silly question but do the autolights come on in the dark?

They should illuminate at about the time the streetlights come on, or when passing through tunnels and heavily wooded areas.

Mine used to be on most of the time, which I liked, then they started coming on at an ever higher threshold (darker days).
I pulled the sensor - mainly as I spotted it was loose in it's holder and blathered some felt tip on so it came on earlier again.

Oddly, I find that immediately after refueling, which I always do late at night, the autolights don't come on the first time the car is started - a bit embarrassing the first time I drove out of the filling station without lights, fortunately a well-lit area.

I did presume that removing the battery at the weekend to put a new one in would reset everything and the autolights would need resetting but they remembered to come on.

They will occasionally not come on right away in daylight but if I accelerate hard (not an easy thing to do in my car at the moment) or go a bit fast round a bend or roundabout then they will come on.

They should also come on after four sweeps of the wipers or after a couple of headlight flashes.

My autowipers have never worked, diagnosed as a dead sensor, far too expensive to replace for the perceived benefits. Yours may be the same.

If you get someone to start the car while you peer into the sensor you should see a rapid stream of yellow lights as it establishes the distance to the screen.
No lights=dead sensor.
Do this a dusk, not in bright sunlight or you won't see anything anyway.
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

there is an option on lexia to set wipers to auto or intermittent it was probably changed by someone who preferred the intermittent function
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

wright wrote:there is an option on lexia to set wipers to auto or intermittent it was probably changed by someone who preferred the intermittent function
I did that on my C5. I detailed how to do it somewhere but I'm not sure where!

Besides, it's more likely to be a faulty sensor.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

Can someone explain the sequence for switching the headlamps to 'Auto'. My old C5 used to come on ok when it went dark but the lights on my new one (xenon) dont come on at all (unless switched on manually).
I have tried what it says in the manual but all i get is the 'Voice Recognition' screen??
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

You seem to to have two threads going with the same question.

Can I suggest that everyone posts in the other thread from now on to avoid confusion.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​