pressure pump goes whrrrrrrrrrr

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeroen
My Cars:

pressure pump goes whrrrrrrrrrr

Post by jeroen »

hello,
every 10 secs my pressure pump goes whrrrr without the click it should do.This is at idle speeds. If I rev it up a bit (2000rpm) it most of the times does give a click.
My idea is that is is broken ,So I am going to replace it with another one.But reading the posts here I could also have a problem with the accumulator? ( the 10 sec interval)
There is only one thing nagging me, the "priming" of the pump after replacement . Do I run a lot of risk if it does run dry for a minute or so?
If anyone has some thoughts/tips I'd love to hear it.
rgds
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jeroen -
What model/year/mileage Citroen do you have ?
jeroen
My Cars:

Post by jeroen »

Morning Anders, I have a bx 16i (progresse) from 91 as a donor (too expensive to get past MOT)
and a bx 16 trs on the receiving end. Also from 91 . Parts look exactly the same, still have to check on pnumbers.Both cars have about 146.000 km on the clock.
Trouble with the trs is that the former owner did a lot of mudtracks with the car , so I am afraid a lot of the hydrolics system is jammed with dirt (height regulator?) or possibly even damaged. But lucky me , the hydrolics on my old bx is the only thing that is in perfect condition.
This evening the trs will be hoisted up to start a thorough inspection of the bottom and parts .
At this moment allready judging by the symptoms :
HP pump does not sound ok,and the frequency of clicks suggests accumulator flat
front falls down when switching to lower setting so suspect of leaks
front end takes forever to decide to rise , then rises ok. suggesting dirty height corrector.
When I brake in this car front does not really dive but rear comes up a bit .So that is not compensated as it should be.This still baffles me, and have not yet found (on this forum, using the search) anyone with that problem, and what could cause it.
How am I doing so far playing BX doctor? If you (or anyone else)has any suggestions they are very welcome.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jeroen -
On BX16 models - you rarely have the PAS servosteering - true on your BX16 too ??
If so - you have the very basic hydraulic system - easy to fault trace [:)]
With car at idle - normal height selected :
Unplug the SMALL hoses at reservoir - and look for LHM flow from hoses.
If you have flow here - you have problems [:(]
Only slow dripping is acceptable [:(!]
If flow on these hoses - repeat the test on return hoses directly from the front suspension cylinders in the front wheelarches.
If you have flow here - the suspension cylinders needs overhaul/repair immediately.
If you have no flow from suspension cylinders - then repeat the flow test from the 2 return hoses on the brake (pedal) valve - located exactly at the pedal - but inside the engine room.
If you have no flow at all from the above hose tests - then it's your accumulator sphere that is flat - causing the fast ticking.
Priming the pump :
- is easy if you only had the large feed hose removed.
Simply unplug the large hose at reservoir (you may need a new hoseclip) - then have the hose higher than the pump - and fill the hose with LHM using a small funnel. Wriggle the hose - to let air burp out. When the hose is filled - quickly plug it on reservoir - and tighten hoseclip.
On the regulator (front of engine under the accumulator sphere) - loosen the pressure release screw ("bleed screw") ½ turn - only 12mm headbolt found in that area.
Set the height control to LOWEST setting [;)]
Now start engine. Rev up the engine (some 2500 rpm's) for approx 30 sec's. Let engine idle & close the pressure release screw. Observe the regulator starts ticking after a little while - building up pressure.
Set the height control to normal height - observe the car starts raising.
If the system will not pressurise - then stop engine & repeat the whole process. May be necessary with several trials - untill you learn the "feeling" of a correct primed/filled feed hose & pump.
In bad cases it may be the only solution to remove drivebelt for pump - then close the pressure release screw & turn the pump by hand while filling the feed hose. When the pump is filled - it will start being hard to turn - because it try start pressurise the system.
The reason for the height set to LOWEST - is to shut off pressure to suspension - making the initial pressure build up easier.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Jeroen,
I'm just sticking my bib in here for a second.
I have a CX doing exactly the same thing; it almost sounds as though it had baked beans for breakfast[:D]
I have just recently replaced the front spheres, accumulator and pump as well as fitting a new hose clip to where it fits onto the pump and STILL if goes "phuRrrrrrtt!!" every now & then. I've come to the conclusion that it's the pressure regulator that is faulty or has a partial blockage in it, possibly a filter or something>
Just thought I'd throw that one into the ring as Anders knew I had a problem but was not aware of the outcome following the work that had been done.
I'll now butt out & see what the others have to say.[}:)][B)]
Alan S [;)]
jeroen
My Cars:

Post by jeroen »

Hi Anders ,
uhmmm PAS servosteering? the trs does have powerassist steering, but I do not know what kind, if that is what you mean.
Thanks for the howto on priming the pump, I am printing it as I type,will take it with me.
I am going to keep the old BX around for another month, and as said ,pillage it for spares before I get it towed away.
So first I'll do a visual check of the bottom of the car , then start with the return hoses.
If it would be the front cilinders, would that mean rebuilding the front struts? Or something else?
Thanks for your input, and Alan, I will keep your post in mind as well.But do you actually hear it make a t sound at the end of the rrr ? Mine only does whrrrrtik at higher revs.idle only wrrrrrrrr.
(happy to have a big box of spare parts on 4 wheels :) )
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

[Quote/]
"I will keep your post in mind as well.But do you actually hear it make a t sound at the end of the rrr ? Mine only does whrrrrtik at higher revs.idle only wrrrrrrrr."
Yep!!
Alan S
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jeroen -
The front cylinders on the BX can be repaired - using a gasket kit (2 O-rings).
Also it may be needed to replace the return hoses attached to the cylinder.
http://www.bx.citroen.org/
is the "bible" for BX front cylinder repair - with many good pictures - also showing the part no's for repair kits.
jeroen
My Cars:

Post by jeroen »

thanks all ,finally found the courage to start on the pump.
lot's of sweat and curses.. do french people have 20 cm long fingers with extra joints?
but got there in the end, priming the pump went dead simple ,I just turned the pump by hand till i felt the pressure build.Then put the belt back on ,start the car and up she went.
Steering much improved, also the rise and lowering. Next stop, swap the startermotor , and replace the hydrolic fluid with cleaning stuff..
Again, thanks all