Arghh something broken aux drive belt C5 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Arghh something broken aux drive belt C5 HDi

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Arghh its just typical, starting a new job tomorrow, and my C5 decides its a good time to break! :evil: :evil:

So I'm driving along, when suddenly the steering becomes very heavy, then the battery not charging lite appears.. So I turn my rather loud music off, whereupon I hear this god awful grinding screeching sound, previously masked by the music.

Upon investigation it seems the aux belt is going round rather slowly, there is a fair bit of smoke and burning smell, plus tiny flakes of metal being thrown out of the general area, oh yes and the noise..

My best guess is one of the bearing for the rollers has broken up causing the roller to seize, or at least move very slowly and painfully.

So questions.

1) Safe to drive? I assume not, but not driving would leave me car less, which right now would present a terrible problem.
2) does my diagnosis sound plausible, anything else it could be?
3) Possible to bodge or quick fix, I suppose it would be possible to drive short distances without the aux belt at all, but more an emergency get home fix than a short term solution.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thx :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Sorry to say that you have a bit of a dilema. :cry:

You cannot realy drive as is, because if the belt slipped inside the crankshaft pulley, then this could cause the cambelt to jump a few teeth, as others have found out, this is disasterous.

You should not realy drive with no belt, it does state on the crankshaft pulley, not to run the engine without the aux belt on, ignoring this rule means that you may get away with it, but you could damage the pulley.

Unless you can find a belt to go round and bypass the problem pulley, (most likely the aircon compressor) you are shafted.

I know that this is not the news that you need!!!!
Regards.
Martin.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Could it be the crank pulley separate parts slipping (provided its a two part pulley of course).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
dave2011

Post by dave2011 »

had this happen on my synergie. :evil: if the belt does slip behind the cam belt cover it will make it skip the teeth causeing the timing to be wrong then it will knack the valve,s/valve guides/possibly piston tops ect ect.......then its a head off job to repair.mine decided to go when i was aprox 20mins from home but i was lucky as the tensioner pully siezed snapping the belt so i had no power steering and no alternator.its not advisable to drive the car with no alternaor as the whole point of the alternator is to pump the juice back into the battery that that car uses n if the belt is missing it cant so if your driving a great distance the battery will go flat n the car will come to a halt as the ecu and other electrical parts of the engine will have no power. :)
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

DickieG wrote:Could it be the crank pulley separate parts slipping (provided its a two part pulley of course).
That happened to me last summer in the Xsara.

We were touring round Spain and a slight ticking noise manifested itself whilst climbing the Pyrhenees to Andorra. It got progressively worse until we got to Beziers when it developped into a horrible screech. I turned the A/C off and it went back to "just" rattling. The last 50 odd miles from Nimes to Orange were a bit nerve shredding but we made it and I was able to change the pulley there.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Further update it's def the crank pulley, drove it to a garage last night, first time driving since I made the origional post, it did make it there, I drove at 1500rpm the whole way, checking under the bonnet the aux belt was hanging loose, the crank pulley had totally come apart!
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Garage just phoned, apparently it's caused the timing belt to jump, as the engine is running rough as, they reckon no damage, but new timing belt required etc.
Grrrr I've had enough of this C5, been nothing but trouble, reckon I'm going to get rid of it now.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Commiserations, and hope it's not too costly.

I'm curious as to how many miles the crank pulley has done, in case one day I have a 110 C5
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

So far I've been quoted £300 approx for new cranky pullye, belt, and new timing belt, sadly I could not get to my usual guys at B&L they are really busy, so I hope this new place does a good job.

Real pain is the timing belt et all was chainged about 20k ago so not needed :(

AFAIK this is the origional crank pulley so its managed 140k miles.

I'm thinking of trading in for a nice 306 Diesel.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Xantidote wrote:Commiserations, and hope it's not too costly.

I'm curious as to how many miles the crank pulley has done, in case one day I have a 110 C5
luck of the draw i think...

my original lasted 100k, 2nd one went at 140k, next one lasted 10k - we did a deal with garage- 4th one changed at 185k, this one started making noises a few weeks ago but has gone quiet so have had this before...cue no.6 methinks!

as far as i know 2 of these were the cheaper ones, later ones middle priced & none from Citroen, so again, can't pinpoint which ones will cause problems?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

C5

Post by davygr22 »

Aah!! - the usual crank pulley problem.I had my 406 Coupe 2.2 Hdi in for a cambelt change recently & had agreed with the Peugeot garage that the tensioners & water pump should be done as the car was on 92k miles.
Got a phone call later that day to advise there was excess free play in the crank pulley & they advised renewal - I was aware of this from previous PSA Group diesel units - total cost of job for full belt/tensioner kit,water pump,crank pulley & new coolant £585.00 inc Vat!!
I just wonder when all these dual part crank pulleys/dual mass flywheels etc started to appear on passenger car diesel power units?
Has anyone experienced any of the replacement solid flywheel clutch kits marketed for many diesel models & does a replacement solid crank pulley exist for these engines?
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Well she's all fixed up now, and running nicer than ever!
The damaged was quite bad, looks like I was lucky the belt only jumpted a tooth or two, was very close to destroying the whole thing!

Heres a picture of the damaged parts.

Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx