Xantia anti roll bar clamp and height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Xantia anti roll bar clamp and height

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Hi guys,my laptop died so i'v not been on lately :cry:

I thought had a problem with the dog bone and that it had broken until i seen it was the clamp... :roll: It had snapped clean off :(

Well im finally after getting around to fixing it and i have it all done now except i cant get the bloody height right :evil:

It's either not rising at the rear or or when i put it into high its not rising as high as it should :roll:

Im not sure if the clamp is suppose to be level or it should be tilted at an angle?

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Dave, you will need to set the clamp by setting the body at the correct height, before you bolt it up. The service height lever must be set on normal to achieve this and the clamp is rotated to increase or decrease the bodywork height.

The only ways of doing this without danger is by using a fourpost lift or a pit, as you need all four wheels on the deck and a means of safely working under the car, should it decide to collapse onto the bumpstops.

The correct height for the rear a finger width between the rear tyre and the wheel arch.There is a more scientific measurement if you look up the archive, as this has been posted up numerous times.

Have you corrected the problem that caused the clamp to fail? Seized height corrector brackets! :shock: :shock: Again this has been well documented on here and how to unseize them. :roll:

Handyman
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Iv spent most of the day trying to fix it and still no joy :cry:

Iv done what you've said Handyman, but in the maximum height setting its sitting just above the arch,it would be perfect if it were for the middle setting :cry:

I think im not turning the clamp around enough but every time i turn it too much the dog bone pops off

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Have you freed up the height corrector linkage? Sounds like it's still seized which could be causing it to pop off when you get it near the correct height
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

It popped off when i lifted the arch to see if it would rise any further :oops:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Dave, to re-iterate what Dommo said, YOU MUST UNSEIZE THE HEIGHT CORRECTOR LINKAGES, otherwise you could spend a month of Sundays trying to get the correct height and still fail.

If the plastic dog-bone keeps coming off, the moving arm on the linkage has not got full movement, so when it gets to the point where it is seized or has taken up the lack in the linkages, it is forced to un-hook. Its quite simple, really. :roll:

Handyman
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

:oops: Sorry Handyman i forgot to mention i fitted a new "dogbone" ,everything is freed up..

Im gonna go back out soon and hopefully figure it out :roll:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Well im closer than i was before :roll:

It will go into high and low but it just will not stay in the drive position :evil:

Very small movements are the differance so far but i just cannot get it to stay in the correct position its driving me crazy :cry:

Can someone confirm that the height selector definately has to be in the drive position when i move the clamp?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd remove the bit from the end of the manual override rod so it can't interfere.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Can anyone post a picture of this clamp and where it is located on the underside of the car.... :wink:

Thsi thread i think has solved a slight mystery on mine :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Can someone confirm that the height selector definately has to be in the drive position when i move the clamp?
That's how I adjusted mine. It only takes micro adjustments to cause the car to rise or fall a fair few inches. Trying to loosen and hold the clamp against the spring pressure while making such tiny adjustments proved very difficult for me, it's quite frustrating!
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

MikeT wrote:
XantiaDaveEire wrote:Can someone confirm that the height selector definately has to be in the drive position when i move the clamp?
That's how I adjusted mine. It only takes micro adjustments to cause the car to rise or fall a fair few inches. Trying to loosen and hold the clamp against the spring pressure while making such tiny adjustments proved very difficult for me, it's quite frustrating!
Thats exactly what i was doing Mike and it is very very frustrating :evil:

Did you have the height adjuster inside set to the drive position when you moved the clamp?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:
MikeT wrote:
Thats exactly what i was doing Mike and it is very very frustrating :evil:

Did you have the height adjuster inside set to the drive position when you moved the clamp?
I'd remove the bit from the end of the manual override rod so it can't interfere.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is a frustrating old job. The only real way is up on a ramp. It's essential the car is level when the adjustment is done.

As siad, the manual lever must be in the middle and it's a good idea to ensure that in the middle position the mechanism on the height corrector is in a neutral position.

When adjusting the clamp you must hold it against the spring tension in the height corrector mechanism otherwise this tension will push on it and send the adjustment to one end. Wedge a screwdriver to act as a lever against the dogbone end whilst slackening the clamp and apply pressure to the lever to achieve the height you desire and once reached, clamp up.

Remember that height correctors do not respond instantly and you'll need to wait until it reacts to get a final height setting.

Trying to do it without a ramp is bloody nigh impossible unless you're very lucky and hit the jackpot...

Have you overhauled the height corrector mechanism and ensured both turrets move very freely? Unless you have checked this and taken action as necessary you'll never be able to set the height properly.

Finally, safety first. Don't try to do anything around height correctors unless the car is very adequately supported and positively cannot squash you if it suddenly falls to full low...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Cheers Jim :D

I have two good ramps :lol:

I haven't gone near the height corrector Jim,but it appears to work correctly.

I need the car for Monday :roll: It's a PITA compared to the front :cry:

I think i put a tad too much grease on the bottom part of the dog bone because when the spring started to move the dogbone popped off..

Il have another go tommorow and hopefully this will be the last of it

Thanks for all the replies :wink:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k