Xantia lock and plip issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

magictorch
My Cars:

Xantia lock and plip issues

Post by magictorch »

Hi, My Xantia Estate 1996 1.9TD is having issues with the driver lock and central locking off the plip.
Symptoms
-------------
I changed the battery on one of the key plips. Red LED ligh shows up and car 'sometimes' locks, but the driver door does its own thing. Sometimes works sometimes does not. I have tried to reset the plip using the 1 key in ignition, 2nd key plip pressed. This makes no difference to symptoms.
When driving along after attempting to use the plip, the hazard indicators lights on the dash go off for a second. Which is odd!

Second issue now is that both keys appear to be worn or there is a problem with the lock barrel on the driver door. The keys now simply swivel round without locking or unlocking the door.

What do people suggest for the plip?
Should I replace the lock barrel and key with something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Dispatch- ... 5add1cfaf6
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

My passenger door on the Xantia has the spinning lock problem. I find if I push the key a little harder whilst turning (Push into the door with the key and then turn it), it bites nicely.

It's the same with Vauxhalls and their spinning barrels. If you stick a screwdriver into it, it's designed to spin and not unlock...

Took me 40 minutes to break into my old MK3 Astra estate.
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Thanks, I have been using that trick for a while but the barrell is now even worse and it will not work.

I have read extensively in other forums and have come up with the following:
1) Wiring damaged
2) Reset key fob (tried that)
3) Actuator ( no idea what this is or how it could be replaced)

All help or suggestions would be great!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you can check your IR plip is chucking out any IR as a digital/phone camera can see IR, just point and triger you plip at you camera and you will see a white light,

regards malcolm
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Not looked at an Xantia door lock but XM's have spinning lock barrels.
On those there are 2 sets of tumblers, 1 set fixed and the other sliding with a spring return. The slide in these regularly gets lazy and the lock mistakes the key for being roggered with a screwdriver and just spins.
Noz put up an overhaul self help with pictures on the club-xm.com site.
Will see if I can find an Xantia door lock to pull to bits and see how they differ.

John
Xmexclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

John,
I think the Xantia locks are of the same design, as the key blades are the same style...

The XM had them first, then the Xantia follow suit in 1992 when they came out.

Its not so much worn locks as siezure of the tumblers.. applying WD 40 during working life should help prolong the working issue..

As for the PLIP, the IR LED on the front of the fob can break off the PCB board on the bent part of the legs resulting in intermittent contact... they can be soldered back together though.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you should not put any lube (the W stuff or the likes ) that is going to turn to gooo/paste when mixed with water, into external door locks, as this cloggs the tumblers up,

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

So what DO you put in there then to stop them clogging up!

OR is that the ultimate mistake... and you shouldn't put anything in at all?

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Paul

With the XM locks until you understand how the tumblers work then any form of treatment is hit and miss. Noz in his repair posting does not go down to tumbler level but frees of the rest of the lock body.
At this level of maintenance the lock and its tumblers are already well gooed up otherwise it would be still working. IMHO and experience a good dose of WD40 or any similar solvent may well move the goo and start things going again.
Little point in even taking the lock out unless you are going to soak it in solvent for a few days. Work the lock taking the key in and out to exercise the tumblers. Flush again a few times until the key will rotate as well. Then I use a few doses of penretrating oil to lubricate the keyway. In between use the key to spread it through the lock and tumblers. Just enough oil will remain to keep things working well.
The XM door lock tumblers are fairly course tollerance due to rounded ends so key wear has to be significant to cause problems. The ignition switch is the opposite with fine tolerance tumblers (square ends) and bad cutting or key wear can easily prevent the key working in the lock.
Had a search for the recovered Xantia door locks but all I can find is a glove box one and that is a micky mouse one offering nil security level.

John
Xmexclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what you should use in exteria locks or any lock realy is something like this

http://www.graphitetrading.co.uk/7.html

or any lube that is not affected by ingress of water,

regards malcolm
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Graphite powder is excellent if you are rebuilding a lock with clean new components. It will do very little for an already gunged up defective lock which is where we start with most car locks. Very few people carry out any routine maintenance on locks until they cannot get the car started or get into the car.

John
Xmexclusive
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Just to clear something up. The plip does work. Its the driver door lock that does not respond. All other locks go up and down with the plip. NOW and again the plip does not work at all. Say once in 13 goes

J
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i did have some lock lube which was labled Yale,

this was microscopic sylicon beads suspended in a fluid,

i dont seem to be able to find it nowadays though,

regards malcolm
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Overnight I realised there is one Xantia type lock that I regularly work with.
The boot lock and its operating assembly are also used on the tailgate of XM Estates. Almost certainly the worst lock on the cars for siezing up. Have collected a number from scrap yards to strip, refurbish and retumbler.
If you have a tailgate or boot lock that works with the key then it is well worth following malcolm's advice and give it regular maintenance with graphite powder.

John
Xmexclusive
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Rebuilding a lock, please can you expand on that. Is it worth a try or are my blades in my keys worn?