J reg bx tzd ignition barrel problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andy. H
My Cars:

J reg bx tzd ignition barrel problem.

Post by Andy. H »

Hi all my farther has a problem with his BX tzd in that all of a sudden he can not get the key into the ignition. It looks as if you have to put the key into the ignition to remove the barrel but the key will only go in a tiny bit. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
regards Andy.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You may end up trashing the barrel completely - to get it out. It MUST be a bugger job obviously - as this is the standard anti-theft device [;)]
Remove the chassis pole from batteri - avoiding any unwanted accessories (starter !) turned on during work.
Spare the key - it will snap using too much force trying it in the lock.
Concentrate work on getting the cylinder turned - to have the lockpin pressed in.
Stripdown the lock surrondings & remove steering wheel - for proper work space & access.
Try first clear the key entrance - worth lot's of trial - since turning the lock with key/tools to remove barrel is the easiest option.
Ultimately - carefully drilling out the lock from key entrance using special drills - may do the trick. Standard drills are too fragile leaving snapped of rockhard bits in the barrel - completely trashing further work - so carefull here.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

sounds like drilling is your best option or (faster) use a slide hammer & rip the thing right out[}:)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Whatever you do - don't try mix'n'matching from two separate units as I did when a key broke in the lock. It's extremely fiddly and ultimately not worth the bother. If I'd fitted the whole good replacement unit then I'd have spent a fraction of the time and not ended up with two useless lock units.
Luckily a complete unit and key turned up via a local car boot sale not long after.
Try asking scrapyard owners if they have a key for any BXs in their yard if you're not buying new - in fact this can be a good starting point if the yard is a "remove-it-yourself" operation as you get a chance to practice the disassembly of a good unit, providing the lock isn't too expensive from these sources. You'll probably have to unfasten/lift the gearbox-lever & under-radio trim unit to get at the connectors for the far end of the cables leading from the ignition unit.
David
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Something is stuck in the hole. Either it is a foreign body (Use a hairpin to probe the lock, a strong light that can be positioned to shine right down the keyhole and if necessary a magnifying glass)Start in the middle of the keyhole and move the in in to gauge the depth. If it is the same as the body of the key then ok,start working it within the keyhole, feeling for things moving under spring pressure. The resistance is a bit like clicking a pen for springiness. If a stiff or non returning sensation is felt then you may have moved the lock tumblers far enough to insert the key, in which case, blast the lock with a light penetrating oil and try the key. Don't withdraw it fully, just a little to work the oil in. It may be worth half an hour's persistence if you haven't tried it before. No guarantees, but you may get lucky and if you do then flush the lock out with a suitable compound
to dissolve the grease and add a couple of drops of oil on the key with the dust of a soft pencil lead rubbed on 1200 wet and dry. Work it back and forth a few times and it should now be serviced. You can feel pleased with hourself if you can fix it with guile rather than force. Citroens are funny that way...
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

There is a good chance that the lock is worn and one or more of the tumblers has dropped out of its guide causing the barrel to sieze. The only answer is to replace the lock. I had to cut away the slot in the lock holder to remove my defective lock, I tried brute force and gave up.
Bob
Andy. H
My Cars:

Post by Andy. H »

Thankyou all for all your good advice, i will have a crack at it.
regards Andy.