Initial Brake Failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Initial Brake Failure

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Whilst exiting the works carpark tonight, the brakes initially failed twice in approx 75 yards. Hard pedal, but no braking. A quick second dab on the pedal restored the brakes the first time, only to fail again. Another second dab on pedal - brakes ok again---then perfect for rest of journey home.
I have had the momentary no brakes backwards at odd times, but never going forward before. NEVER EVER had any moments like this when abs was disabled ( orange light on ). Since I replaced the o/s/r abs sensor and got the abs up to scratch, I have had this fault turn up. Not nice.
If it is abs related, I will disable the junk , until it goes for MOT. Wondering now if car will stop when I need it too.
Any ideas on the forward brake failure, please??

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

how soon after start up did this ocurr, i know a MK1 XANT that will do this every time on start up if the rear end has not got up,

even after the stop lamp has gone out

regards malcolm
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i have a hard pedal on start up on my c5 we reckon that the vacum pump is loosing vacum when the car is left
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Looks like you have air or gas in the braking system. When did you last bleed the brakes?

If it is a Xantia, the main accumulator may need changing. How often does your regulator click?

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

true hydraulic citroens dont use vaccum/servos for there braking system,

as the C5 your foot in conjuntion with the servo/vaccum pump creates the presure,

regards malcolm
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i'm sure its a citroen my c5
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

wright wrote:i'm sure its a Citroën my c5
"True Citroens" as being referred to here have brakes, steering and suspension running off a single hydraulic pump and use green LHM :)

The C5 is a Pug with a double chevron on the front, with conventional power steering and brakes.
The latest lot of C5's have been even more Puggerised as they have these metal coil things which have a tendancy to snap (I think they're called springs) that don't keep the car level but do hold it up, unless they've snapped.

It's the resentment of Peugeot destroying all the superior features of proper Citroens, and aimed most definitely at PSA and most definitely not aimed at C5 owners like yourself, so take it as tongue in cheek :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks Xac hunny for clarifying that for me, i couldnt have put it better,

except the green LHM is citro blood,

and it probably more like the European government as well causeing the disapearance of citroen hydraulic,

regards malcolm