ZX Valeo Radiator - what's the correct type?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

ZX Valeo Radiator - what's the correct type?

Post by geb042 »

Car is a 1995 ZX Avantage 5dr hatch 1.9D (non-turbo, manual transmission).

I need to replace the radiator in my car which has been fitted to it since new, and is a Valeo.

I went to my local motor factor to order a new Valeo replacement and was given part number 731010.

Unfortunately, when I opened the box the radiator fins were quite damaged for a new unit, so I rejected it. The motor factor is ordering me another one, but I've got some nagging doubts whether it's the right one.

Could someone advise if it's the right part number or give me the Citroen part number?

Both units look the same except for the new unit doesn't seem to have a drain plug fitted to the bottom on the nearside end of the radiator whereas the old one has. There's just a moulding/housing for the tap, but no tap in it. Inside it's blanked off.

The plastic moulding on the expansion tank side of the new radiator is black plastic whereas my old one is light coloured plastic.

I'm more bothered about the drain plug at the bottom nearside - surely there would be a drain plug there - Haynes mentions that this is the way to drain the rad before removal.

Any ideas? I really want the right rad as I don't want to be left high & dry with the car in bits with a rad that won't fit!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Sounds like you've got a replacement rad similar to mine; in which case the drain plug isn't blanked off, it's just plugged with that annoying little screw in thing.
If it is what I think it is, there should be a little slot the drain plug which you can undo with a suitable flat bladed instrument, takes a lot of screwing and it's very fiddly with the air filter housing in the way :evil:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
geb042

Post by geb042 »

The problem isn't that there's no drain tap there. There's the housing shaft moulding that the tap sits in, but no tap in it.

You can poke your finger in where the tap normally is, but the shaft is blocked up at the bottom of it. This is moulded in and not a removable plug.

I'm annoyed about this because if I fitted this rad a later needed to remove it, it would be impossible to drain the water out before disconnecting the hoses - the way the bottom hose is located on the ZX, as soon as you removed it the water would be forced out all over the place!