Fault Coses help C5 HDi 2ltr LX 110bhp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Fault Coses help C5 HDi 2ltr LX 110bhp

Post by boristhespie »

Well my wife wants to get rid of the other C5 HDi 2ltr LX 110bhpwhich I love and have tried to have fixed for bloody ages now. The car has zero power when going up shallow hills with a engine warning light on.

It's been in the garage where they blocked of egr to try and apparently tried a MAF they had hanging around (?) but to no avail.

They didn't want to check for leaks as it could take forever and therefore increase costs too much. I can't see anything but I have neither expertise nor equipment to check the vacuums.

WHAT makes me think I need to get this done and sorted is A/ I don;t want to get rid of car as its pristine otherwise. B/ I'd rather she used it to run to work everyday and C/ I went and SORN'd it on Friday, but I have nowhere to put it and who then turned up today and started taking bloody notes? A warden. Never seen a warden in my housing street in 5 years and one turns up days after the vehicle was SORN'd....Hmmmm!???

Talked him outta buggering me but he'll be back next week.

Anyway have LEXIA but don't really know how to use it.

Ran it and boy the car has loads of faults. Instrument panel, windows etc. Of interest to me was three faults in the injection system which is where I think problem may be. Maybe it is elswhere but I never took not of all the faults just the ones under injection system and they are below.

Help would be helpful in translating.

1/ PERMANENT FAULT : FLOW METER SIGNAL - airflow too low coherence.

2/ PERMANENT FAULT : Pre-post heating relay curcuit. Short Curcuit positive.

3/ PERMANENT FAULT : REmote Fault - brake signal signal communication fault (what's that got to do with "injection".

COdes were:

1/ P0101

Engine speed: 803 rpm
Airflow value: 228 mg/stroc
Airtemp: 3c
Inlet airflow: 53 mg/ stroke
Turbo Pressure 1012mb

2/ P0380

Actual stroke : 30mm3/stroke

3/ P0571

Any help towards the fault would be appreciated. Comeon brain boxes.
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Fault Coses help C5 HDi 2ltr LX 110bhp

Post by myglaren »

boristhespie wrote: 1/ PERMANENT FAULT : FLOW METER SIGNAL - airflow too low coherence.
Looks like the MAF or an air leak.
Glow plugs/circuitry. Should be easy enough to test the glow plugs. I was there when it was done for a 206 - they asked me what I thought the poor starting/ rough running when cold might be :shock:
I suggested glow plugs and the guy had them on the floor of his office and connected to a battery in less than five minutes.*
One was completely sot, one weak and only one of the four was the appropriate type for the car.
less than an hour later the guy had been to the motor factors (8pm!) and brought back Bery plugs, fitted and running like a sewing machine.
3/ PERMANENT FAULT : REmote Fault - brake signal signal communication fault (what's that got to do with "injection".
If it thinks you are using the brakes it will cut the power - fuel to the injectors.
Could be a faulty brake light switch or connectors thereto.

*has some nice burn marks in his carpet now to remind him next time :)
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Looks like the MAF or an air leak.
So is that airleak in vacumns or just air leak. If so where to look and what to look for?

If not the MAF is faulty?

Also how do I go about locating and checking the brake fault then?
C'est pas possible!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I haven't done any of this so I am not speaking from experience but I am suffering some similar symptoms (still)

I have an air leak, I can hear it but haven't been able to find it yet, no doubt it will be the intercooler, no reason for it to be in an inexpensive to replace hose.

If there is a leak in the induction system you will almost certainly be able to hear it, mine is a very high pitched shriek.

It is however only audible when the engine is under load or on the overrun. Nothing at idle.

I did replace my MAF some weeks ago and the improvement was fairly dramatic.
Unfortunately I seem to have poisoned the new one too.
I generally have no boost until about 3400 revs and when the engine is cold it can take some getting there.
Also an antipollution fault (caused by slow starting it would seem) that often limits the revs to <3000.

Once it is warmed up and has been started a couple of times it goes fine, like the proverbial sewing machine. Still whistles and the boost comes in late.

The brake light switch should be high up in the passenger footwell on a rod that extends over to the brake pedal. May just need a bit of adjustment/jiggling or the contact cleaning.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Would the state of the glow plugs effect running or are they just there for start up?
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Don't hear any whistle like you indicate in mine.

The garages are are flumoxed and I am not experienced but can't bring myself to get rid just like that.
C'est pas possible!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Of these I would concentrate on the brake error and flow error.

If the ECU thinks that brakes are applied I believe that it will go into some kind of low fuel injection routine, which is not to say it will cut fuel just modify the quantity injected.

The Flow error could be MAF but is just as likely to be a leak between the MAF and the turbo inlet or even a leak on the turbo outlet, which would cause a flow error because the airflow through the MAF is lower than the ECU calculates that it should be for the given revs.

Looking at your numbers the turbo pressure appears to be about normal ambient would be interesting to see what this is with the engine running at say 1500 rpm, if there is no significant increase then that would indicate a leak on the pressure side of the turbo.
Again it is saying to me that it expects to see an airflow of 228 mg/stroke
but the MAF is only indicating 53 mg / Stroke.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

boristhespie wrote:They didn't want to check for leaks as it could take forever and therefore increase costs too much. I can't see anything but I have neither expertise nor equipment to check the vacuums.

Any help towards the fault would be appreciated. Comeon brain boxes.
If ye have the courage / initiative to get a Lexia and use it then you can soon learn how to do the vacuum bits, all you need is a suitable gauge and an assortment of plastic joiners and pipe of appropriate size go look in B&Q for the kind of things used in irrigation / fish /tanks etc.
Gauge well anything that will measure a vacuum is good enough, feel sure that one could even adapt an old aneroid barometer. However I believe that Sealey do a complete vacuum / fuel pressure testing kit for about £20.00 and that includes pipe and T pieces, go have a look on Fleabay.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Strange. Took car to storage could bearly get up hill and brakes were banging as if on. Stopped for fuel and set off and all warning lights went off and the thing went like stink. The brakes are scoobied but they didn't bang after the fuel. Wonder how it would do on hill again.

Maybe breaka have input into lack of power then?

These had new calipers a couple of uears ago bit look like they are knackered again.

Thoughts on engine ans stop light going off? The engine lights been on forever
C'est pas possible!
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

Boris, I would like to help you out of your misery with this car. Can I suggest you sell it or scrap it and buy yourself a nice low miles Xantia Hdi110.

You know it makes sense. Probably cost less than the repairs you need on the C5 and there may well still be issues.