Does the Xsara 1.4LX petrol, have a fuel cut off switch?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arcticfox

Does the Xsara 1.4LX petrol, have a fuel cut off switch?

Post by arcticfox »

Was trying to start the car, with no luck and I realised that I wasn't hearing that buzzing noise when I turned the ignition to the second stage, which makes me think there's a fuel pump problem.

Does the Xsara petrol engined car have a fuel cut off switch in the engine and is it accessible to me? If so, where is it and what does it look like as I can't see anything.

If the fuel pump isn't working is there anything a non-mechanical minded person like me can do to try and fix it or is it a garage job?

Cheers for any help.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Highly likely to have one.

The inertia switch as its called. Usually a rectangular , vertically mounted lump with a red or black rubber flat 'button' on its top, usually only has two wires going to it.

Have a look in the engine bay around the scuttle / bulkhead area. It should be high up. I'm not sure where it is on these though, if it has one.

Have you checked all fuses too ? Your diagnosis is on the right track as you have already checked and cannot hear the fuel pump priming for a couple of seconds so the inertia switch would be one of my first thoughts too.

Here's a pic I found, this is a 306 but you can see the switch, ignore the rest.

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

Had the similar problem with the Xantia a couple of years ago. The cut-out switch wasn't the problem, nor the fuse. However, after I had accessed the fuel pump, (on the Xantia there's a removable plate under the rear O/S seat base), pulled the connector off, cleaned it thoroughly with 'Servisol' and replaced it smeared with Vaseline, it hasn't given any trouble since; (the new OS pump I bought on ebay is still in its box on the shelf...... :(
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
arcticfox

Post by arcticfox »

Thanks for the replies so far, I looked for a cut off switch but couldn't see anything resembling a switch. Mind you, with my knowledge it would have really had to have had a big flashing light on it before I'd have seen it.

I have noticed now that when I leave the key at the 2nd stage for about 10 secs, there is a beep and the immobiliser light comes on. If there is a fault with the immobiliser, will that stop the fuel pump from starting?

I thought I had followed instructions to reset the immobiliser but I guess not, unless I had to do it again when I took the fuses out looking for a broken one.

sigh
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

On later xsaras with com2000 (from around 2002) there is no inertia switch as fuel cut off on impact is managed by the airbag ECU. On earlier models the inertia switch is on the o/s inner wing.
The imobiliser does not stop the fuel pump operating.
arcticfox

Post by arcticfox »

follow up...of sorts

A mechanic has been out and has said that there is no spark which is why it isn't starting. He initially thought it might be a problem with a "crank sensor" (I think thats what he said) but this wasn't the case.

He just returned with some kind of handheld diagnostic device which seemed to plug into the fusebox inside the car. However when he's running the test it keeps showing as "ecu disconected"

The ecu seems to be giving the machine the info about the car (make/model etc) but wont give a reading so he's now going to get in touch with another mechanic who seems to have a machine that plugs straight into the ecu.

Am starting to get fed up now and starting to think its going to be costly :cry:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think you will find in that case the double brown relay is dead,

i had this very same thing on a pug 206 were my DIAG 2000 (pug version of the DIS LEXIA) could not see the ECU at all,

regards malcolm