Xsara picasso front wheel bearing and brakes ESP version

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Xsara picasso front wheel bearing and brakes ESP version

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

my wifes picasso needed a bit of attention after the tell tale humming sound told me one of the front wheel bearings was on it's way.
I had a few on the shelf bought for a BX 17TZD I had 8 years ago but were never needed :)

It has done 61,000 miles and was still on its original pads and discs but as they were showing signs too and I didn't want to prat about I bought a full disc and pad set. As the car has ESP it uses the 283mm things on the front not the 266mm version.

I've always managed before but also bought a piston retractor kit from ebay £28 plus post, and what a piece of kit. Should have done it years ago. The back discs and pads were very quickly as was the side not needing the wheel bearing on the front.

I had searched on here for any tips as I've not had to do anything to this car before now. I even had the local MOT station change the oil every year :) Disconnecting the Abs sensor made a lot of sense 'it is stuck fast in the hub'. The hub itself was a bstard to remove pinch bolts rusted to the hubs etc. I've not seen anything like this on any BX or CX before.

I had to take a dremel to the circlip in the hub as there wasn't anywhere to attach the circlip tool! it had rusted through. I had to take it to my local MOT place for them to press the bearing out and the new one back in. Every BX one I've done had popped out in a vice before now... with a bit of 2lb persuasion :) This refused to do anything until the 10 ton press got to it.

No drama really just though I'd share
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I noticed that there is a post on here re C5 hub bearings requiring 12T to get it out, That just seems a lot for an interference fit I wonder if they fit these things originally with "cold" bearings into "hot" hub carriers.

On the subject of mileage 61K isn't a lot is this another case of the bearing only being marginally man enough or is it just that they fitted crap bearings in the first place or is it that the interference fit is too interference causing some stressing /warping of the bearing with resultant high wear rate. Just idle speculation.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
CitTone

Post by CitTone »

cachaciero wrote: I wonder if they fit these things originally with "cold" bearings into "hot" hub carriers.
Probably - the missus objects to me putting car parts alongside the leg of lamb, though...
cachaciero wrote: On the subject of mileage 61K isn't a lot is this another case of the bearing only being marginally man enough or is it just that they fitted crap bearings in the first place or is it that the interference fit is too interference causing some stressing /warping of the bearing with resultant high wear rate. Just idle speculation.
cachaciero
Our C3 is now showing classic wheel-bearing-thrumm symptoms, and the BoL describes the bearings as "designed to last the lifetime of the car". We're on 78K....is that a "lifetime" for a modern car, then?
List of Afflictions...
C3 1.4 HDi ,XPic 2.0 HDi,Peugeot 306 TD,Renault Megane 1.6,AX 1.5D,AX 1.4D,Xantia 1.9TD ,XPic 2.0HDi
Xantia 1.9TD ,BX TZD ,BX TZD ,XM 2.1SD
BX GTi 8v,BX GTi 16v S1,BX 16TRS
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Our C3 is now showing classic wheel-bearing-thrumm symptoms, and the BoL describes the bearings as "designed to last the lifetime of the car". We're on 78K....is that a "lifetime" for a modern car, then?
The C3 is a pain to do as the bearing has the ABS ring built in so you have to watch what you hit with the club hammer :lol: :lol:
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
CitTone

Post by CitTone »

ABS ring notwithstanding, I have been rather put-off DIYing it because of the apparent need to completely remove the strut.

With no available garage space, and no hydraulic press, that could be biting off more than I can chew...

Lump hammer...? In my Mini days, perhaps...oh...and removing seized discs from the Picasso (*$*@#)
List of Afflictions...
C3 1.4 HDi ,XPic 2.0 HDi,Peugeot 306 TD,Renault Megane 1.6,AX 1.5D,AX 1.4D,Xantia 1.9TD ,XPic 2.0HDi
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitTone wrote:...oh...and removing seized discs from the Picasso (*$*@#)
Bit late now, but it's a piece of cake.... Jack up, support both sides, wheels off, extract the disc screws (OK, that might not always be a piece of cake), start engine, engage drive in 2nd, stand on brake. Loud bang greets loosening of first disc. Jump out, fit 2 wheel bolts in that side, repeat driving exercise, loud bang greets freeing of other side. 5 minutes tops if you walk slowly :lol:
Richard W
CitTone

Post by CitTone »

Umm, yes...I guess that would do it !!!
List of Afflictions...