Citroen ZX - Drubbing Noise & Brake Wear Sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

Citroen ZX - Drubbing Noise & Brake Wear Sensors

Post by geb042 »

Hi - car is a '95 ZX 1.9D hatchback.

First problem is that, under accelleration at around 20- 30 mph there is a drubbing noise coming from underneath the front offside when steering the car to the right, such as going around large roundabouts. The wheel bearings are fine, the CV boots are fine, and there is no noticeable play in the driveshaft joints. This only happens when moving the steering wheel to the right for a certain amount. The problem doesn't occur when steering on a tight to full-lock.

Second problem is that the wires serving the front brake pad wear sensors have snapped (i.e. the thick, single wire). Are these difficult to change? Haynes doesn't really mention them.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not sure regarding the rubbing sound, although you might possibly find its the brake pads,

and here is price and part No. from citroen if still availible for the sensor harness, and it appears they are not handed,

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00006526T2 WEAR HARNESS 9.95 GBP 11.94 GBP 11.94 GBP

regards malcolm
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Cheers citronut.

Do you know where these wires connect into the main wiring loom or are they spliced in somewhere?

As it happens, the front discs and pads were renewed on Wednesday along with the handbrake cable and rear drum brakes. Unfortunately, this coincided with the MOT running out (it's booked in for one on Saturday) so I'm unable to give it a proper road test to see if changing the front pads has cured the drubbing noise.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you follow the remains of the pad warning lamp loom you will find 1 wire atatched to an earth point, usualy a 10mm spanner siezed bolt near or on the suspension strut, and the other goes just into the engine bay were it is just pluged in to a corisponding socket,

regards malcolm
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Well, changing the brake pads hasn't made any difference.

The wheel bearings are fine and I'm told that it couldn't be the drive shafts as I'd know about it big time of it was.

I'm not convinced about this as the driveshafts and hubs are the only component where the noise could be coming from.

So, I'm considering replacing both driveshafts.

Question's are:

- who are the OE supplier of driveshafts to Citroen?
- is there any merit in changing the hubs as well?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would pull the drive shaft out from the hub and remove the pads, so you can proove for sure its not a wheel bearing,

if then you are sure then check the intermediate drive shaft bearing,

also if you ended up fitting drive shaft/s there is no reason not to just use exchanged units from a motor factors, as the ones i get are usualy GKN who are the main drive shaft manufacturers,

regards malcolm
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

I wouldn't rule out the wheel bearing. My nearside front bearing slowly started getting noisier but yet there was no noticable play. Drubbing is the kind of noise you get and it's usually the nearside front that goes first.
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you dont offten get/find play on a front wheel drive wheel bearing, it would have to be breaking up for that,

and a Drubbing? = drowning noise is usualy a bearing on its way out,

regards malcolm
geb042

Post by geb042 »

After looking at the replies so far, I'm thinking of getting two new wheel bearings fitted (cheaper) to see if it cures the problem before moving onto replacing the driveshafts (more expensive).

Car has 33k miles on the clock from new, so wouldn't have expected wear in either, but then again it is a Citroen! The car also passed it's MOT last Saturday!

The noise only happens when turning the steering wheel to the right and only vaguely when steering left. It only happens at above 10mph when the steering wheel is turned enough so that the left spoke of the steering wheel points to say 10 o'clock position. Any more than that and the noise stops, neither does it happen when steering less or going straight ahead.

It also only seems to happen under accelleration. I can't describe any other steering / speed combinations as to be honest turning the wheel to the position where the noise happens represents the tightest lock anyone would normally use at these speeds (e.g. on a large roundabout or right turn junction with signals).

There is no clocking or knocking noises when on full lock either.

It's just a hollow drub-drub-drub drub that can be vaguely felt through the steering. I'm flummoxed!
Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch »

Have you checked the wheel arch liner isn't flapping in the breeze?
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Yes, wheel arch liners secure & intact and there's no signs of any abrasion on either these or the tyre.

Although I've bought new wheel bearings, I'm now thinking it's more likely that the noise is the driveshaft. To me the bearings will drone and vibrate. My noise is a knocking and drubbing. I'm only guessing that it's coming from the o/s shaft, so I'm going to take a punt on that first.

That said, was reading a post on Honest John whereby someone with a ZX seemed to be having the same problems, even whilst driving straight. Suggestions were that it could be a planet diff in the gearbox! Hell, I hope it's not that!

Does anyone know where I can buy new GKN shafts from that do either mail order or are located in the Manchester area?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Reversing on full lock will sometimes show up a driveshaft / cv problem conclusively.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Have a look at:-

gsfcarparts.com

I think they do reconditioned driveshafts, with a surcharge until you take the old one back. I'm not sure if they sell new ones. On the website, it does mention GKN, but you'd be safer ringing them to be sure. Mail order from the website/by phone, and they've got shops around the country as well.

Paul