Another new Xantia Owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick19800
My Cars:

Another new Xantia Owner

Post by nick19800 »

Hello,

Today I bought a 2000 xantia exclusive as we needed a car desperately as the alfa 156 gave up the ghost on Thursday, anyhow the xantia is a great little car and is fully loaded with everything which is amazing for the money I paid also had 4 new spheres fitted last year, However a cheap car doesn't come faultless. When I was driving home I realised the heater blower didn't work at all which after having a quick look when I got home I realised the fuse had been removed because the blower was running at full all the time which after a bit of googling I found it could be a common fault with blower resistors- what would be easiest in everybodys opinion, try and fix the existing controller with 2 new resistors (I dont suppose anybody knows the exact resisitor spec that I will need, also the ABS light is on which again after a bit of googling found it could be the abs ecu which I just wanted to know whether the ecu could be replaced without the control unit as I've found a few for sale but there coming as complete units together also the cruise control does'nt work, I noticed that the abs and cruise control are on the same fuse would a faulty abs ecu effect the cruise control and last but not least this is a bit baffling, all the electric windows only work when the drivers door is open all the way which as you can imagine driving on the motorway and you wanna lower the window a bit could be a little tricky but I'm putting that one down to a loose connector in the door loom which I shall investigate tomorrow.

Sorry for my first post being a bit long and boring

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Nick,
Firstly :welc: secondly, the heater is common issue and has been covered in this thread http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24786
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I reckon a good 156 is a great car, especially in late GTA or sportswagon format.

The blower controller uses transistors - I understand UK electronic supply shops have little trouble furnishing an interchange part based on what writing is on the back. You also need machine screws and nuts for attachment of the new, if your old units are riveted on.

As to the ABS, it'll be a wiring fault somewhere between the ECU harness plug and the wheel sensors. Corrosion at the hubs causes the sensors to get crushed as the rust expands; they don't handle this very well. Sometimes the toothed rings on the hubs also break off or split.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

the ABS is usualy a wheel sensor,

the electric window fault could be one or so broken/fractured wires in the door shut rubber trunking,

regards malcolm
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:27 pm Post subject:

Nick,
Firstly secondly, the heater is common issue and has been covered in this thread http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24786
Cheers for that, I was aware that it was common fault but I cant see how the contacts on the relay being a bit iffy would stop the fan speed being controlled as I thought if that was the case the fans wouldn't work all?
I reckon a good 156 is a great car, especially in late GTA or sportswagon format.

The blower controller uses transistors - I understand UK electronic supply shops have little trouble furnishing an interchange part based on what writing is on the back. You also need machine screws and nuts for attachment of the new, if your old units are riveted on.

As to the ABS, it'll be a wiring fault somewhere between the ECU harness plug and the wheel sensors. Corrosion at the hubs causes the sensors to get crushed as the rust expands; they don't handle this very well. Sometimes the toothed rings on the hubs also break off or split.
The funny thing about the abs which I failed to mention in the post was that earlier today we needed to make a fairly abrupt stop and the abs kicked in so Im under the impression that the abs is working but the theres a fault on the line, could the abs still work with one of the sensors knackered ?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes it will work when compromised but still powered up - that's been my observation too. Some people here don't believe it!
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Cool first things first then I'll check the sensors, Im hoping there a little cheaper than a new ecu!! [-o< [-o<
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Search Fleabay Germany using the search string sensor Xantia (and number) in titles and descriptions; 454573 front and 454574 rear. Two of each needed.

Diagnosis can be fairly straightforward with a Lexia and commonsense.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi nick

Watch the blink sequence on the ABS light.
This tells you if and at what stage the ABS is failing the start-up checks.
There should be 3 blinks followed by another 3 blinks.
Fault finding in an ABS can waste a considerable amount of time and money if you do not find out which system is fitted then apply the tests for that particular system. I think early Xantias are Teves Mk4 fitted.
The ECU's are pretty bomb proof but there is more than one power feed. Loss of any one will fail the start-up test.
For start-up the power feeds and relay are checked, the 2 microproccessors in the ECU then the resistance of the 4 wheel sensors. That set of checks is then repeated hence the second set of 3 blinks.
Sensor signals are not checked until the vehicle is on the move above a set speed with no brake application. So you do not have to worry about the fault being sensor signals or ABS rings until the start-up test is working and the ABS light comes on irregularly while on the move.

John
Last edited by xmexclusive on 26 Feb 2011, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.
Xmexclusive
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Is there any way of checking with a multimeter as a Lexia I'm assuming is a diagnosis tool which after looking around on ebay are proving to be a pricey.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Nick

Standard test on sensors is to measure the resistance.
Detail for an Xantia will be on here somewhere.

John
Xmexclusive
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

Hi nick

Watch the blink sequence on the ABS light.
This tells you if and at what stage the ABS is failing the start-up checks.
There should be 3 blinks followed by another 3 blinks.
Fault finding in an ABS can waste a considerable amount of time and money if you do not find out which system is fitted then apply the tests for that particular system. I think early Xantias are Teves Mk4 fitted.
The ECU's are pretty bomb proof but there is more than one power feed.
For start-up the power feeds and relay are checked, the 2 microproccessors in the ECU then the resistance of the 4 wheel sensors. That set of checks is then repeated hence the second set of 3 blinks.
Sensor signals are not checked until the vehicle is on the move above a set speed with no brake application. So you do not have to worry about the fault being sensor signals or ABS rings until the start-up test is working and the ABS light comes on irregularly while on the move.

John
Thanks for that, Is there any way of bringing up the error code without a diagnostics tool? Like on a Toyota mr2 you bridge 2 pins in the diagnostics port and then you get corresponding codes which are the same principle but with the engine management light.
nick19800
My Cars:

Post by nick19800 »

After reading that quote again I'm assuming as im starting the car I should get the flashes whilst its cranking over sort of thing
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Yes
Xmexclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also some on here say test the sensor's from the ECU plug, i tend to find each of the 4 sensor plugs and test the resistance from each one with a multi meter,

the cables usualy fracture fronts were they flex every time the steering is turned, and rears were it flex's at the point it lays across the trailing arn pivot point,

regards malcolm