VEG OIL- DIESEL MIX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wornelly
My Cars:

VEG OIL-DIESEL MIX

Post by wornelly »

Well av put 15 litres of veg oil and 7 litres or mineral as a tester to see how the car takes to it, if it likes i will try a 100% veg oil test, all being well it will be that way soon, but the seals may need replacing soon as was mentioned on here a few times and if anybody has a link for these seals that are ok for bio fuels that would be appreciated as the car is going in for a timing belt change soon so doing this at the same time seems a no brainer lol,
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

I have been running WVO and SVO in mine at various Diesel mixes for 3 years now. Unfortunately as the weather is still so cold the WVO I get free tends to gel and is difficult to do an initial filter on. The price of SVO is ridiculous at the moment and as you get 10-15% less mileage out of it (due to its lower calorific value) than diesel I have gone back to 100% diesel. Come the slightly warmer weather I will be back on the WVO when processing (cleaning/drying) is far more straightforward. I have managed to hoard enough over the winter that I can hopefully run all summer on free fuel!
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

I must admit that I've been giving serious consideration towards purchasing another but older Xantia TD for work, and to obviously use SVO and possibly bio if I can find anyone around here that sells it.
However, upon reading up on fuel consumption figures, the TD avareages 40 mpg as against 51 on the Hdi.
Is this all a bit of false economy I'm asking myself now? :(

Whats' the betting also, that SVO is very soon going to follow the same upward trend in price as the rapidly increasing cost of diesel?
Colin

My cars:
1988 AX GT and still running sweet. Genuine 41 k only!!
2005 Skoda Fabia vRS 83k...and truly awesome.
Vauxhall Combo crew cab SE
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Eriba Puck caravan now too!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Doing the maths (cassy gets 45mpg) it works out with veg at 100ppl and diesel at 136ppl, its 10ppm for veg compared to 12ppm at 51mpg on the hdi.
So a 600 mile tank load will save you £12 with SVO.
Of course veg is likely to come down in price much more over the spring/summer than diesel will, and there's the option of even cheaper WVO
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Xac wrote:Doing the maths (cassy gets 45mpg) it works out with veg at 100ppl and diesel at 136ppl, its 10ppm for veg compared to 12ppm at 51mpg on the hdi.
Of course veg is likely to come down in price much more over the spring/summer than diesel will, and there's the option of even cheaper WVO
Everything's a gamble at the moment with the volatility and unstable nature of the fuel market.
I was going to buy a VW T4 to convert into a camper van and also use for work, but it won't run on veggie it seems, and I can only expect around 30-35mpg at best apparently.
I feel cornered, like many others I guess. :x
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Even if the current lot manage to sort out the fuel stabiliser that they've hinted at, it's just going to stabilise it at an already high price.
With veg from costo going up to 100ppl I've even been thinking about WVO.

Did the AX 1.4D come with a bosch or lucas pump?
Wasn't it able to get 100mpg?

DIY sphere tool
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Xac wrote:Even if the current lot manage to sort out the fuel stabiliser that they've hinted at, it's just going to stabilise it at an already high price.
Are all fuel pumps the same on the TD's btw?
Lucas iirc, or are there a mix of Bosch ones out there too?
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

we're 99.9999% certain that all 1.9TD Xantias were fitted with bosch veg happy pumps :)
2.1TD's (unlike the nicer XMs) were fitted with the slow schoolmistress Lucas Epic that will accellerate when it's good and ready to thank-you-very-much and doesn't like veg.
1.9D's I believe had a mix of bosch and lucas depending on how the factory workers were feeling at the time, and I'm sure 406's also had a mix.

DIY sphere tool
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Xac wrote:we're 99.9999% certain that all 1.9TD Xantias were fitted with bosch veg happy pumps :)
2.1TD's (unlike the nicer XMs) were fitted with the slow schoolmistress Lucas Epic that will accellerate when it's good and ready to thank-you-very-much and doesn't like veg.
1.9D's I believe had a mix of bosch and lucas depending on how the factory workers were feeling at the time, and I'm sure 406's also had a mix.
Ahhh, right. Got that the wrong way 'round then.
Mainly veggie and bio friendly Bosch on ther TD's then.
I'll check first though if I decide to purchase one...if I can find one that is!

Couple of estates on Autotrader, but a long way off...as always. :roll:

Thanks for your help.

It was really only because of driving my old Xantia on monday taking my neighbour who bought it from me that I was taking to the airport that got me pining for one again, along with the possible use of SVO of course too. :wink:
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Penguin wrote:I have been running WVO and SVO in mine at various Diesel mixes for 3 years now. Unfortunately as the weather is still so cold the WVO I get free tends to gel and is difficult to do an initial filter on. The price of SVO is ridiculous at the moment and as you get 10-15% less mileage out of it (due to its lower calorific value) than diesel I have gone back to 100% diesel. Come the slightly warmer weather I will be back on the WVO when processing (cleaning/drying) is far more straightforward. I have managed to hoard enough over the winter that I can hopefully run all summer on free fuel!
I try and stock up on filtered WVO before the weather gets too cold. I store it in 25L containers, which I just sit in the sink with some warm water for 30 minutes. I then blend that 50/50 with biodiesel I get from a friend. This has worked fine in cold weather and the average price per litre is still only 35p :)
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Xac wrote:Even if the current lot manage to sort out the fuel stabiliser that they've hinted at, it's just going to stabilise it at an already high price.

Did the AX 1.4D come with a bosch or lucas pump?
Wasn't it able to get 100mpg?
I looked at a 106 1.4D and it was Lucas, I think they all are. From what I hear they're also pretty horrible unreliable engines. Certainly I did many miles in a work's 1.4D and it would struggle to overtake a cyclist! The 1.5D can be had with Bosch, but they weren't very common and only found on late models I believe. That would be cheap motoring, cheap tax, low running costs and ridiculous mpg. I would probably have purchased one at the time had I found one at a reasonable price.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Bosch pump permitting, I think I may revert back to the ultra reliable Citroen Visa based C15 van with the ole bullet proof 1.9 non turbo diesel lump in it.
Nice clean one for sale near here with low miles on an 02 for a grand.

Can anyone confirm that these are suitable for WVO and bio please?
Colin

My cars:
Citroen Saxo 1.4 Furio.

Their cars:
Hyundai Getz.
Hyundai i20

wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

C.J. wrote:
Xac wrote:Doing the maths (cassy gets 45mpg) it works out with veg at 100ppl and diesel at 136ppl, its 10ppm for veg compared to 12ppm at 51mpg on the hdi.
Everything's a gamble at the moment with the volatility and unstable nature of the fuel market.
I was going to buy a VW T4 to convert into a camper van and also use for work, but it won't run on veggie it seems, and I can only expect around 30-35mpg at best apparently.
I feel cornered, like many others I guess. :x

if you get a 2.4 t4 it will run on veg oil provided it has the bosch pump which i think most had, the 2.4 is only a bit down on power compared to the 2.5 and don't have any of the many problems the 2.5 has
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
paul whalley
My Cars:

Post by paul whalley »

will my 1.9 berlingo with a lucas pump on it run on veg oil?
Paul

Peugeot Boxer 2.0 HDI 53
Citroen Berlingo 1.9d 1998
Saab 93 1.9 (150) tid 57
peugeot boxer 2.0 HDI 54
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

paul whalley wrote:will my 1.9 berlingo with a lucas pump on it run on veg oil?
No, lucas is a no-no

DIY sphere tool