Now my remote plip has stopped working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Now my remote plip has stopped working

Post by MikeT »

It's been working trouble-free since I got the car a few years ago so when it failed last week I assumed battery though was conscious of it suddenly dying instead of getting weaker as I'd expect from a failing battery.

Today, I replaced the battery with a good one, tested the remote on a draper bit of kit at the motor shop, tested it on the car (including the re-synch procedure in the handbook) and finally tried to re-synching it with the Lexia but they're all showing it's no longer transmitting.

I've pulled it open and there's continuity when the buttons are pressed and continuity from battery terminals so I'm completely stumped now. Guess I need a replacement?
pugsick
My Cars:

Post by pugsick »

Hi Mike

I can offer no mechanical help but if you source one and need it collected or delivered let me know as i normally have drivers throughout the country. They could bring it to me and i would glady drop it off. That said i guess a stamp is just as quick so i will go off and sit in the corner....
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

What about your spare blip Mike, just pop the battery in that and re sync it and all should be well?.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

On my previous Xantia I had this prob. but reverted to using the key in the lock. A bit awkward sometimes but no different to how things were 20 years ago.

But I was never sure how much 'protection' the car had if I locked it in this way.

And also, with the 'blipper' working properly, is there any extra protection if you press the blipper twice to lock the car?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you pointed your plip at your mob phone/digi camera as they can read/see IR,

mine plays up now and then and i give it a tap/bash this gets it to work 9 out of 10 times,

i think the switch's are dieing, i have tried switch cleaner also with no change,

regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Jamie: Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. Have you seen this "sticky" yet? http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=28148

Dean: Sadly, I need RF as I've got a MK2.

rmunns: Yep, forced to use key. Is a pain in the dark though and to your question, yes the alarm is only set via the remote! Why, oh why! :roll:

Malcolm Mine's RF, Malc. But I need to get good batteries before I can test the IR one for Dean in the manner you suggest.

Alternatively, I discovered today my local motor shop have a Draper Car Remote Tester - works on both IR and RF which mine showed dead as a do-do, no signal sent. Also, Jim has stated I can use my radio scanner to tune into something like 430mhz for the RF version.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok Mike i was just going by the year of your car as mine is 98 on an R and is IR,

my son is asking if Jim or anyone knows which modulation the RF plip use's,

regards malcolm
pugsick
My Cars:

MikeT please add me.

Post by pugsick »

Mike

I travel daily beyween Camberley (Surrey) and Fareham/ Southampton so please feel free to add me.

Shout me if i can be of any help.

Also i manage a courier/ logistics company so please feel free to contact me if you have any special requirments as i am sure i can help..
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

I have a few (5) poor condition cases, keys and pcb's for these RF plips going spare. These are all odd ones collected over the last few years to see how they compare with the earlier XM Mk2 type RF plips.
Unfortunately they were sufficiently different to be of no use for spares.
The XM RF dates from 1994 and uses rolling code data for security which makes each plipset unique. The codes cannot be read or obtained from Citroen so the remote sets cannot be mixed or reprogrammed.
The Xantia Mk2 RF sets were designed a couple of years later and first used on the Xsara and Synergie. The security system changed to a coded chip in the key read using a aerial around the ignition switch. The plips should be capable of reprogramming and mixing sets. The security chip is in the plastic head of the key blade so moves with the key not the plip when sets are being matched up.
As with all Citroen electronics of this age the pcb's and components on them have serious reliability issues making them difficult to maintain and keep working. For XM's I tend to use Chinese aftermarket RF sets as these are much more reliable and far more secure.
Compared to IR the RF sets have much greater range and do not require line of sight to the car receiver so there is a good case for replacing IR sets with the Chinese RF ones as they cost around £25 for a set.

John
Xmexclusive
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

John, where can these RF sets be found?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

To complete this thread, I got a pair of used fobs off ebay. One of them is working, (the other needs a new battery) and was programmed courtesy of Lexia so I've now got a working alarm again and no more fumbling in the dark to open/lock the car - yay 8-)
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

Mike, think i saw that pair on ebay...were they the ir or rf ones?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

i3 wrote:Mike, think i saw that pair on ebay...were they the ir or rf ones?
RF. IR would be no good to me.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Next issue is Swapping key blades:

Swapping key blade (with transponder) from remote to remote was relatively straightforward (rivets actually unscrew) as they're a direct fit but looking at my spare key (without remote plip) I'm not sure it's the same under the cover as those with the plip.

Does anyone know if they're the same underneath and what is the best way to split the blade from it's holder?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i might be wrong Mike (wont be the first time) but i dont think the blade comes out of the plain chiped key's non remote,

regards malcolm