Xantia battery drain - hydractive fault?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andyl
My Cars:

Xantia battery drain - hydractive fault?

Post by andyl »

My 97 CT Turbo estate has suffered from battery drain when left unused for a period (2-3 weeks or so). I discovered a high drain to the alarm system (Fuse 17) so disconnected that some ago, and it seemed much better. However, the battery is still draining, after a longer period - I've found that fuse 8 (engine compartment) is showing 0.67amp with everything off. The handbook says this is for the Hydractive system. Any ideas what this might be? A stuck hydractive valve? Apart from this battery drain problem, the car is brilliant, but gets used very irregularly - university trips, holidays in the alps etc. We keep thinking about replacing it with something less thirsty, but if we can keep it going by throwing the odd £200 at it.....
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I had this same problem with my previous estate, it was due to the boot lock switch not closing due to wear in the lock pivot pin, a similar cause can be if the switch isn't correctly located. Either of these will cause the Hydractive suspension to be constantly turned on, hence battery drain and if its set, the alarm to be triggered.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most modern cars if left for a few weeks will flatten the battery although 670ma does sound excessive and it wont do you battery any good to be run flat, I would suggest disconnecting the battery when you are not going to use it or connect a 10 watt solar panel to it.

Peter
andyl
My Cars:

Post by andyl »

DickieG wrote:I had this same problem with my previous estate, it was due to the boot lock switch not closing due to wear in the lock pivot pin, a similar cause can be if the switch isn't correctly located. Either of these will cause the Hydractive suspension to be constantly turned on, hence battery drain and if its set, the alarm to be triggered.
Thanks DickieG, that's the other fault with my car I didn't mention. The tailgate central locking hasn't worked for a year or so (I have to use the key) - could it be the same problem?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

andyl wrote:
DickieG wrote:I had this same problem with my previous estate, it was due to the boot lock switch not closing due to wear in the lock pivot pin, a similar cause can be if the switch isn't correctly located. Either of these will cause the Hydractive suspension to be constantly turned on, hence battery drain and if its set, the alarm to be triggered.
Thanks DickieG, that's the other fault with my car I didn't mention. The tailgate central locking hasn't worked for a year or so (I have to use the key) - could it be the same problem?
The central locking on my old car did still work but I imagine that had the problem been allowed to progress then that would have been a natural progression. As soon as the fault occurred repeatedly I investigated it at length so effectively caught it early.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andyl
My Cars:

Post by andyl »

Thanks - I'm not sure what you mean by "the boot lock switch not closing" ... on my tailgate, the locking solenoid doesn't seem to work - I've been happy enough to use the key to lock the boot. Did you replace the solenoid for the tailgate lock?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

andyl wrote:Thanks - I'm not sure what you mean by "the boot lock switch not closing"
Attached to the mechanical catch/lock is a microswitch that is easily displaced or fails to operate if the lock catch pivot pin is worn, you'll need to remove the boot door trim to view it.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andyl
My Cars:

Post by andyl »

Ok thanks I'll have a look. I've been in there before to fix a water leak. maybe I disturbed it then..