Cost of stainless systems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Has anyone had a stainless exhaust system fitted to their Xantia? If so, how much did you pay and who did it?

I phoned a Powerflow franchise today and was given a rough quote of £325. Just trying to get a general idea of costs (maybe Longlife or others are cheaper) as the Activa needs one before it goes back on the road. At least with a stainless it should never need replacing.

I'm currently mulling it over as it needs an exhaust, tyres, MOT and tax. I'm hoping I can do it.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Cost of stainless systems

Post by spider »

Toby_HDi wrote: At least with a stainless it should never need replacing.
Sort of ;)

Although the baffles etc will eventually break up and fall out after some years so you end up with a straight-through piece of pipe in effect.

It will last a long time though :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

the caveat being that they often require an inspection every year at which point they charge you more money for that and could blame anything on anything they wished :(

Stick to OEM to be honest, its cheap and will outlast your ownership of the car :)
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Of course, baffles will break up over time. I wonder if the lifetime warranty covers such things?

The Powerflow franchise I've been recommended does not stipulate you must have an annual inspection.

I can see me keeping these two cars for a while now so its possible an OEM won't outlast my ownership. That and there are some nasty products out there.

Other than that there is also the potential for modest power gains through better gas flow. That is not the main reason though, the main reason is longevity.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Stainless on exhaust systems is not always the fit and forget solution it appears to be.

First stainless comes in a variety of formulations and they all have advantages and disadvantage so it's worth asking what grade of stainless the system is made of.

While being generally corrosion resistant externally internally it can be a different matter stainless requires oxygen to remain stainless and those conditions are not always met in side an exhaust system.
However probably the biggest problem is that it work hardens with vibration and can be prone to cracking.
The two experiences I have had with stainless have not convinced me that they were the value for money that they first appeared to be.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

KP wrote:the caveat being that they often require an inspection every year at which point they charge you more money for that and could blame anything on anything they wished :(

Stick to OEM to be honest, its cheap and will outlast your ownership of the car :)
OEM is damn expensive though, many times the value of the car in fact!, aftermarket is rubbish now, i got bossal for the xm thinking it was good but that didnt last long at all, 2 years in fact. ive got a Walker back box but that was well built but eye wateringly expensive, if the whole system is looking ropey i would go stainless, sounds a bit better without being silly and it will last longer than the car.

Or you could have what my Activa has :wink: had a look but the receipt isnt in the history folder so cant say how much it was though.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

i had a Stainless steel system on my old Xantia Powerflow and i have just put one on my C3 (see my posts) got them both done from Fife Auto Centre in Dunfermline and Glenrothes cost about £350 i think,

The C3 one does not need inspected but if something goes wrong you take to any networked Powerflow dealer to fix it FOC.

Best thing i ever did as my older BX would go through exhausts every 2-3

yearshttp://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

Toby,
I have two cars with stainless systems.I have owned both cars from new.

My1969 Wolseley exhaust blew in 1974 and I had a stainless fitted. It,s been on ever since.It has never had an annual inspection except that required for MOT and it is still perfect.

My 1999 Xantia Estate is another story.At the first MOT,May 1st 2002 it needed a new exhaust. It was supplied and fitted by the Main agent that supplied the car originally at a cost of £608. Mileage 33000.

That lasted until June 14th 2010.I then decided that as I was going to keep this car until I die,I would have a stainless fitted.

I took the car to MIJ Performance Exhausts in Walsall. look up the website.

The front pipe and cat were perfect (Cat tested at 35% full)front pipes rarely need replacing because they run so hot.

So they set about fabricating a bespoke exhaust from the cat back including an extra silencer, at my request, to make the car run quieter.They involved me at every stage to be sure it was exactly what I wanted.

The job took a little over 2 hours and cost £270. A superb job.

I would never spend money on a 'cheap' exhaust. Go for stainless you'll never regret it.

Bryan.
1999 Xantia 1.8 16v Estate Dante Red
1969 Wolseley 18/85 Damask Red
1936 Morris Eight Black
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Bryan, do you know what grade of stainless steel they used?

I used to buy a lot a stainless exhaust systems from P.D.Gough in Nottingham. Although they were not cheap, they always fitted first time, material quality was excellent, mind you they were usually for Astons Martins, Ferraris and Maseratis.

They would build a system for anything, might be worth a try.

I'll be contacting them shortly, as I need a special turbo exhaust manifold making.

Handyman
landcrab
My Cars:

Post by landcrab »

Handyman,
The steel used was T304. This means nothing to me,not being an engineer. All I know is that it is a very substantial bit of kit.

All the information you need is on the website. Just google MIJ Performance Exhausts,Walsall. A very impressive organisation full of people who really know what they are doing.

Bryan.
1999 Xantia 1.8 16v Estate Dante Red
1969 Wolseley 18/85 Damask Red
1936 Morris Eight Black
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Take one complete new exhaust ( not the cat),
Take some potatoes,
Take one large 5ltr. tin of silver high temp. (600Deg.+) paint,

1. Tap potato into one end of each part of exhaust pipe.
2. Hang each pipe section vertical with potato at bottom end.
3. Fill each pipe with paint.
4. Shake 'n' tap gentley to dispel air and coat every internal part.
5. Remove potatoes, catching paint in bucket.
6. Fit exhaust system to car and start engine before paint drys completly to clear excess paint from baffles.

Note: fit a bag or something to tail pipe unless you want a silver house/ hedge/wall or wife/girlfriends car,
You can also go for a drive but this will leave a silver line up the road. :twisted:

This will outlast car if done properly! :wink:
The world is full of them and a lot are in
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: Cost of stainless systems

Post by cachaciero »

landcrab wrote:Handyman,
The steel used was T304. This means nothing to me,not being an engineer. All I know is that it is a very substantial bit of kit.

All the information you need is on the website. Just google MIJ Performance Exhausts,Walsall. A very impressive organisation full of people who really know what they are doing.

Bryan.
304? in the marine world 304 is only recommended for above water, 316 is used for total immersion due to it's higher corrosion resistance when totally immersed.

Having said that 304 may be better from a ductility / cracking point of view than 316 although having worked to some degree with both I can see little difference in that respect, they both work harden very quickly :-)

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

mendedit wrote:Take one complete new exhaust ( not the cat),
Take some potatoes,
Take one large 5ltr. tin of silver high temp. (600Deg.+) paint,

1. Tap potato into one end of each part of exhaust pipe.
2. Hang each pipe section vertical with potato at bottom end.
3. Fill each pipe with paint.
4. Shake 'n' tap gentley to dispel air and coat every internal part.
5. Remove potatoes, catching paint in bucket.
6. Fit exhaust system to car and start engine before paint drys completly to clear excess paint from baffles.

Note: fit a bag or something to tail pipe unless you want a silver house/ hedge/wall or wife/girlfriends car,
You can also go for a drive but this will leave a silver line up the road. :twisted:

This will outlast car if done properly! :wink:
Like it :-) have heard of a similar solution using Epoxy floor paint, has the advantage that if there is anything a bit loose in the system to start with it isn't loose by the time the paints dried :-)

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

We use 316TI, although its fairly expensive stuff, flue systems made from it are around 30% more than 316l although the life span is drasticaly improved.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The two experiences I have had with stainless have not convinced me that they were the value for money that they first appeared to be.
Yes I agree. Not true stainless .........but only Stain Less (slightly)than mild steel. :D Had one type which I would not buy again.

The HT ally paint I coat on outside of all my new exhaust parts....it helps. Probably sufficient for a diesel exhaust.

Using on inside is interesting.......especially for a petrol
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2