S2 (2000, W reg) xantia 1.8 Forte external temp readout

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

S2 (2000, W reg) xantia 1.8 Forte external temp readout

Post by Gingerposer »

Folks, I am considering whether to replace (repair?) the external temperature sensor of my car, as it is giving wildly pessimistic readings since the extreme cold we had this winter.
Where is the sensor located, and is it something that can be easily replaced or perhaps fixed?

Cheers

Ainslie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On a MK2 it's in the passenger door mirror Ainslie. If you feel under the hinge (where it pivots back toward the window glass) you'll feel a small dome. This is the sensor and it's nothing more than a thermistor.

The more likely cayuse of the problem is dirty connections on it's connector. To get at it you'll need to take the door card off... If memory serves me it's a red 2-pin connector.

How pessimistic is it. Spring is not here yet and it is still a tad chilly outside...

A MK1 Xantia has the sensor in the driver's mirror!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gingerposer
My Cars:

Post by Gingerposer »

it appears to read about 5-7 degrees colder than actual temperature, going by what other vehicles are showing and by local weather reports. I don't want to be either driving around scared of ice all the time, or ignoring it and getting into trouble!