xsara running temperature

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carr3626
My Cars:

xsara running temperature

Post by carr3626 »

Hi could someone tell me at what temperature should my xsara be running at when driving at 30 mph. Also if anyone knows what temperature the thermostat opens and kicks the fan in would be helpfull.

Thanks

Carr3626
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Although in theory slightly dependent on engine type, once its up to temperature it should run at about 80c for most of the time.

Sitting in traffic etc will make it rise obviously, but it should normally sit around 80c.

Not sure on the thermostat opening temp (what engine?)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
carr3626
My Cars:

Post by carr3626 »

hi
thanks for that mine is running roughly 88c it the 1.4 lx
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've looked at some Peugeot specs as I don't have any Citroën ones (although they should be the same anyway, same car ultimately) for the 1.4 TU engine although they mostly do not say the temp on them. The only one that does says 89c

Although bear in mind that's probably the fully open temperature.

I would say your's is about right although a fraction too hot, possibly old coolant or slightly blocked radiator / heater matrix causing it. A flush out with a hose and fresh coolant should cure if its a concern.

Thermostats are kind of service items though, even though its not part of any service schedule to change. It's probably worth changing it when a water pump is changed (along with timing belt) as that's an ideal time as its already drained.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
carr3626
My Cars:

Post by carr3626 »

i have recently changed the water pump and timing belt, i will get a thermostat and put one in to see if that help

thanks for the advice
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

I have a mark 1 xsara 1.4 2000 model, i changed the thermostat and coolant last year so i am happy that it is reading correctly, these are the sort of readings on the gauge

In town when fully warmed up about 80C

When on the motorway it fluctuates between 80 and 90 although mostly sits between the middle of 75 and 90 i.e. around 83

The fans seem to come on in the late 80s, i never noticed the gauge go above 90.

It yours is similar its ok, i personally feel anything petrol engine over 90C, something is not right.

Ive never had a petrol go above that temp (well except my old Mazda 323 which went of the scale- but then again the radiator was leaking like crazy, my fault for not checking)
:roll:
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,